1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 29 Progress...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by gailnyc, Feb 14, 2013.

1. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

I am up to Day 29 and I just wanted to report on my progress.

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I was trying to go barefoot a little in my house. My doctors told me to always wear slippers and I had become convinced that to not wear slippers or shoes at any time was bad for my foot. I had scary pain in the ball of my foot on those few occasions when I was barefoot (like in the shower) and it would sometimes travel up to my second toe and then up toward my ankle.

I started going barefoot for the hour or so after my shower but before bed. I would tell myself that the pain I felt was not real. Then I started increasing the time so that now I am barefoot from the time I come home until I go to sleep (I still wear slippers in the morning). Now I am experiencing almost no pain or discomfort on the bottom of my foot!

Another improvement is that at work, I no longer have to change into slippers at some point during the day. I am able to wear my sneakers all day long. Whenever I feel pain, I am learning to relax into it instead of tense into it (which I had been doing unconsciously, I realized, and which only made it worse).

I continue to practice patience (not easy for me!). Being patient and not rushing my recovery seems very important, somehow. I believe that rushing my recovery is what caused a serious setback in December. Things are improving, slowly, but they're improving. As long as I continue to improve, I don't really care how long it takes.

Cheers!

Leslie likes this.
  2. Stella

Stella Well known member

How exciting. What wonderful progress. Sandy

gailnyc likes this.
  3. Tami

Tami New Member

Keep it up gailnyc. You're making great progress.

gailnyc likes this.
  4. CMA

CMA Peer Supporter

Great Gail..thanks for sharing. I am recovering from chronic foot pain too and can relate to your experiences.

gailnyc likes this.
  5. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Sounds like you had some major milestones,
    Congratulations!!!!
    G.R.