1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 12 Progress

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by KevinB, Dec 7, 2015.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well known member

Hey all,

Today has been a positive day. This past Friday I had something of a breakdown - it all just sorta finally hit me at once and I had some serious sobbing episodes off and on all day. Saturday I felt hungover and emotionally drained, Sunday I was a bit better, and today I felt good. I have to walk a decent amount to get to and from my job, probably like 2.5 miles total, R/T, and today was the first day I wasn't really scared. It still hurt, and I still had stop every so often to sort of "adjust", and still walk with a limp, but it just wasn't as big a deal today. So it's nice to to see some progress, not so much in a reduction of pain, but more in my attitude toward it - I guess I'm just being a bit more indifferent to it. Friday's breakdown was a bit scary, I felt like there was something "wrong" with me because I hadn't cried like that since I was a young boy.... but I finally just gave into it, I told myself I wasn't going to hold it back, that the painful and sad emotions that were coming out couldn't harm me and that it's OK for me to feel it, to cry, to shake, to just really let it out.... I noticed my male pride creeping in, but I was alone (kitties were there, trying to comfort me), so I just kept telling myself that it was OK to let it out. In retrospect, it was amazing - intense, but wonderful. I've felt very 'emotional' since, like the smallest things choke me up, so I think there is still work to do, but I'm willing and grateful to be taking some time to work on myself, to cultivate (trying to at least) self love, acceptance, and an inner soother/protector. Man, I swear I was born without those things, and somehow I just didn't develop them along the way... but luckily it seems that it's never too late to start working on those things.

That's it for now. Blessings.

Kevin

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Kevin. It's good to know you are feeling better. A good cry can be very therapeutic. It can leave a person emotionally drained, but also it left you with positive feelings. It's great that you can walk so far, and without a lot of pain. You are right in working on self-love, acceptance, and an inner protector. For me, my inner protector is the Holy Spirit, surrounding me with a bright light. Nothing bad can penetrate that light to give me stress or pain.

Kitties and dogs are so wonderful in helping calm us. My darling dog Max is such a great comfort. He's curled up napping under my desk as I write this.

Keep up the good work. It's always great to see your progress.

KevinB likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Nice post, Kevin. I've found that I get emotional much more easily these days than "before Sarno". Being female I've always been able/allowed to cry more easily than most men, but I am definitely "softer" than I used to be, and that feels good.

KevinB likes this.