1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Procrastination

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by miquelb3, Mar 27, 2019.

1. miquelb3

miquelb3 Well known member

2. Marls

Marls Well known member

Interesting. Emotions to blame again! And I thought it was just me being lazy haha.

3. AC45

AC45 Well known member

What a great article! This one is a keeper. And, yes, I see myself a little too much in this ;).

4. Kingkong

Kingkong New Member

Great article. Thank you! Explains a lot.
    I procrastinate often and then feel rotten deep inside. I realize now I could use more self- compasion and forgiveness. I avoid sorting my closet because it triggers feeling of low self-esteem because I am not quite satisfied with my wardrobe at the moment. So what I am going to do is upgrade my wardrobe and in the meantime sort my clothes anyway with self-conpassion and understanding that I'm doing the right thing and not running away from my problems.

5. andy64tms

andy64tms Well known member

Charlotte Lieberman only touches on the negative sides of procrastination, she speaks to it being tied to emotions and moods and the avoidance of managing tasks.

In our world of “bigger” “better” “on time” “the best”, in every avenue of life there is huge pressure for us to perform. We have no choice, but to keep our jobs, since there is there is no boss that would allow you to procrastinate. In addition we are all overloaded to the hilt with timeline charts, schedules and personal performance levels to maintain. What a croc of shit, what an abundance of stress! Steve Ozanich also tied some procrastination traits with perfectionism. We fear not getting it completely right so we delay; putting off doing the task.

I remember my first retirement day in May 2011, after 35 years in the work force being free to procrastinate for the first time without feeling guilty. This was done knowingly and with purpose, it felt strange, a liberating release, but it certainly did not feel bad. I am now free to spread and enjoy both my procrastination and perfectionism over a longer period of time - much less stressful. As with most things in TMS there seems to always be a Yin and Yang equation and it’s up to each of us to be content with both. :)

Ref:

https://psychcentral.com/lib/10-good-and-10-bad-things-about-procrastination/

Time2be and Tennis Tom like this.