1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Probably a Weird Question...Humour Me.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Huckleberry, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

Just wanted to run this past the forum...it may seem a mad off the wall question but its been intriguing me somewhat today.

I have suffered from year round rhinitus for all of my life which can either be problematic or can be in remission for lengthy periods of time...I have been relatively unbothered for the last few years.

What I have noticed recently is that literally every morning, as soon as I wake and go into the kitchen I suffer a heavy sneezing fit...this doesn't happen anywhere else in the house and only seems to happen on my first one or two visits into the kitchen, there is nothing whatsoever in the kitchen that could account for this attack of sneezing.

What is interesting is that as I'm generally a tad dopey and not totally awake to the world when going into the kitchen first thing is that I never, on a conscious level anyway, have a thought "oh I'm going into the kitchen now, I bet I start sneezing" rather it is only when I catch myself sneezing that I realise I'm doing it again.

What I'm now wondering that in relation to TMS could this sneezing almost be like a programmed automatic response that is lodged somehow in my subconcious...I know this sounds a tad weird but I honestly can't think of another explanation and if this is what is going on I can see how this process parallels other physical issues I have going on that can be seen as TMS.

Thanks for reading and any opinions or insights gratefully received.

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, the sneezing can be programmed if it only happens when you walk into the kitchen whether your conscious of it or not.

3. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Huckleberry, I remember when I was a kid sitting at my uncle's breakfast table. (We had traveled from a long way and spent the night there.) When he opened the paper, he sneezed at said it was "the Smith newspaper sneeze", meaning…it was something that ran in the family. So yeah, once in a great while I will sneeze when I open a newspaper.

He thought it was smell of the ink. I know now it was programming and TMS.

BTW - Not a mad question at all. I enjoyed the fun memory it jogged.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.