1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Prickly leg skin (sometimes numb feeling)

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by tgirl, Nov 12, 2015.

1. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I want to post this symptom to see if anyone else has experienced this. I feel that most people on this site experience things such as back pain etc. and not really inexplicable nerve type stuff ( I am hoping I am wrong, not that I would wish this on anyone). I have had the prickly feelings three times over the past 10 years. When it disappears it totally goes away but when it reappears it is fairly constant except when I am in bed at night - it disappears then.

I have been tested extensively including blood work, MRI's, nerve tests, neurologist visits- the works and everything comes back normal. My first bout was after a flu and my last bout was after a two month period of unrelenting stress. It seems to have clicked on and I haven't been able to turn it off. It has really worn me down.

Can anyone relate? Thank you!

2. Crissyxox

Crissyxox Peer Supporter

Yep. I get it all. Tingling, numbness, electrical shock like pain, hot spots, coldness, funny feeling....all my neurological tests come back fine. I have a disc herniation but a "not scary one" or one that should warrant the symptoms I have. It's your brain tricking you.

tgirl likes this.
  3. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thanks Crissy, I have a hernation as well but a small one. My neurologist doesn't think it is related. Do you ever get relief from this? Have you found a program that works?

4. Crissyxox

Crissyxox Peer Supporter

Well....I have self indulged long enough in my own fears etc. After researching tms it seems strikingly obvious that that is what I actually have. I am feeling more optimistic than ever before. I am currently struggling with the early stages of my body fighting hard with symptoms to reinforce my pain and injury. It sure isn't easy is it?

I believe in myself though. And I cannot wait to live my "old life" again. I deserve that and so do my children.

So...all I have to offer up is to remind yourself that your mind is a powerful thing. Believe in yourself and the process. Good luck to you.

tgirl likes this.
  5. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thank you Crissy and good luck to us both!

6. Crissyxox

Crissyxox Peer Supporter

I'm curious what your story is...if you are willing to share...

7. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I am happy to share but I don't think there is too much more to say other than what I posted. I first experienced these symptoms about 10 years ago during a horrible flu. They quickly went away only to return a couple of years later. I don't know why it came back, but it again went away after a few weeks, only to return again a couple of years after that. The last time it flared I was going through a very stressful period in my life so it may have had something to do with that. It just doesn't seem to want to leave. :(.

Some days are worse than others. While I am in bed it seems to dissipate. If the weather is warm and I have nothing touching my legs it seems better too. Unfortunately the weather in Canada, where I live, doesn't help my situation because right now it is cold.

As I mentioned I have been tested to no end and all tests come back normal. I really am at a loss.

What was happening when yours started?

8. Crissyxox

Crissyxox Peer Supporter

About a year ago I unfortunately herniated disc in my back during "yoga". I just had my son and it literally has changed the course of our lives. Over the last year things have progressively gotten worse even though my MRI doesn't look that bad. It went from simple back pain to sciatica to excruciating electrical shock pain behind my knee with a multitude of other symptoms. What I noticed is that there isn't a lot of pattern to my pain but rather a lot of associative thinking to my pain (bring in a car causes me pain therefore I no longer can be in a car ).

I've tried every therapy without a lot of relief. I stumbled upon Will Sacks' story of TMS about a month ago. I was super inspired by his story, I also saw myself in his story. I have literally watched all these amazing things that I have built up for myself over the years crumble down because of this back injury. Interestingly, I have a lot of childhood traumas and a lot of unresolved/ regressed emotions from my childhood that have obviously followed me into my adulthood.

It's strange that you have been sick when these episodes have come on? Then again, as I have learned, our brains are tricksters. Do they stay "on" now or are they still related to being sick???

Canada!!!! Where !?!? I am in canada too! (Toronto area)

Crissy

9. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I live in Toronto.

The first time it happened I was sick but the two times after that I wasn't. The last time I was stressed. There is no set pattern to mine either. It moves around my legs (never my feet), some times symmetrically and other times not. It is strange when this first happened I was sick but I also hurt my back. I don't think my doctors see a correlation.

10. Crissyxox

Crissyxox Peer Supporter

Now I am figuring out this forum (It's not Facebook!) I will pm you. :)