1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Preoccupied

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by COgirl05, Jan 28, 2015.

1. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

I've been reading The Great Pain Deception and have found it very enlightening. I am realizing more and more that my problems are preoccupation mostly and fear secondly. I've read and reread several articles about the pain cycle and fear and I understand them, but I'm really struggling to stop thinking about it so much. It's definitely on my mind almost all day and at night even. I also monitor my symptoms all day too. It's making me crazy! My pain has been moving and changing a lot almost everyday, so I feel as if I'm headed in the right direction - the pain knows I'm onto it and is trying really hard to keep its power and distract me. HELP!!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, COgirl. I'm glad to hear that you're improving. I think you would make even more progress to healing if you found some distractions
    to take your mind off your symptoms and don't monitor your pain or healing process so much each day.

Try to find things that relax you, like music or reading (about things other than TMS) or tv or movies.
    I find that surfing YouTube leads me to all kinds of interesting things.

I especially like the YouTube videos on relaxation.
    Last night I watched some National Geographic documentaries on animals. Nature and travel are two of my favorite subjects
    that take my mind off of any pain or fear.