1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Power of the mind

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Chimichanga, May 27, 2022.

1. Chimichanga

Chimichanga Peer Supporter

If we have the power to control pain and many other things with our minds, does this mean we have the potential to cause negative things to happen to us too? For one who is anxious and OCD, having belief that you can do so much with the power of your mind can seem scary considering that you may become stuck fearing that you can cause something.

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

You are right! and Sarno called it the"Nocebo"... the opposite of a placebo.

I had that same exact thought, as I also used to suffer from OCD. And just like TMS education you can lose your catastrophizing mind by learning...one of the benefits of this program is how much insight it gives you into lots of things that made life suck...and how to get free from them...and you can!

3. Chimichanga

Chimichanga Peer Supporter

Thanks for the reply Baseball65. Would you say that practicing outcome independence would help with this? What has worked for you? I have been able to get through many pain issues, but now my brain keeps worrying about aging issues, (wrinkles, balding, etc). It seems like a symptom imperative and I keep asking myself, “well what am I worried about if those were to happen?” My answer: fear of rejection from my loved one. Stemming from? Childhood rejection?

Trying my best to not care, but sometimes it just persists.