1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Potassium and/or Magnesium Deficiency

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by kkcarlton, Jun 28, 2017.

1. kkcarlton

kkcarlton Peer Supporter

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody here had a diagnosis for potassium or magnesium deficiency as an explanation for pain, fatigue, and insomnia? I read Dr. Sarno's book Healing Back Pain and the book The Great Pain Deception. I do fit the personality of someone with TMS and have had major stress in my life including my childhood. At the same time, I have seen relief from pain, insomnia, and fatigue with the "right" dose of said minerals. Unfortunately the "right" dose never lasts more than 2 or 3 days which makes me think it's TMS.

I am currently waiting to see if I can get an appointment with Dr. Schubiner. His practice is 2.5 hours from where I live and I sent him an email this morning. In the meantime I have also ordered Unlearning Your Pain and I have been reading quite a bit on this forum.

Thank you for any input.

Kristina

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Temporary relief is usually a sure sign of the placebo effect. Using TMS principles and strategies provides a lasting recovery because it gets at the cause of symptoms.

You are wise to see Dr. Schubiner and read his book. Keep us posted on how it goes.

3. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Hi kkcarlton,
    It's really easy to see if you have a potassium and/or magnesium deficiency. Get a physical from your doctor including the usual blood tests. It's a basic thing everyone should do anyway to rule out underlying issues. Don't believe all the tv ads that tell people they might have a deficiency. I thought that too early on with my tiredness and pain until I went to the doctor for a physical. If you don't have a potassium or magnesium deficiency and take supplements anyway, you could get side effects.

4. kkcarlton

kkcarlton Peer Supporter

Yes, I thought about that as well about the placebo effect. Thank you for your reply.

5. kkcarlton

kkcarlton Peer Supporter

Hi, I have an actual diagnosis of deficiencies, meaning blood tests revealed I am too low on a cellular level.

6. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Good. Then take the supplements your doctor recommends and keep your appointment with Dr Schubiner. I did his workbook a few years ago and it was very good.
    I remember when I would occasionally get an iron deficiency I would feel more energetic as soon as I started the supplement which, of course, would be the placebo effect of just knowing why I felt the way I did.

7. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Okay, I just recently did some investigation into magnesium deficiency. My strong feeling is that it is just another mindbody symptom... I came to this because studies show that stressed/depressed people secrete more magnesium than people who are not, therefore a deficiency can arise. Why? I don't know, but it happens. The key lies in treating the cause (the mind), not the symptom, although a doctor may prescribe it to temporarily get your levels higher if they are really too low.
    I bet it is the same for B12, although I have to admit that I didn't look into that.

Ellen likes this.