1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Posture? How much should we pay attention to it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Freedom, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

So when my TMS symptoms got particularly bad back in May of last year (2016) I started seeing Doctors at the recommendation of a friend, as well as massage therapists and physical therapy. I learned some things about posture, and it became quite a large focus of mine. I even have a stand-sit desk at my computer at home now (which I will not get rid of because of the effort and money invested to get it, and my desk is not uncomfortable on its own for computers anyways).

At this point, even though I try to believe in TMS, part of me still thinks I should try to maintain good posture even if it doesn't affect the pain, just because it will somehow be good for me in the long run (maybe body will be less stiff or bent as I get older).

However, I wonder if this is a bad idea for me at this point in time? As in, could it be contributing to me being a worrier? (Which probably would just make TMS symptoms worse). Should I just almost forget about it and slouch and sit/stand however I want?

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I think keeping your back straight for your posture is a good thing but it won't heal your pain. If you think proper posture is going to help you become pain free then it's not a good thing and you should sit however you want.

3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a good question! As a PT, having "good posture" was a principle ingrained in me in graduate school as an integral part of our practice. I have, however, been questioning it lately with my new TMS knowledge. I remember in school we looked at everyone's posture in our class of 50 and decided only 1 or 2 people had "perfect posture." (However the other 48 people didn't suffer from chronic pain!)

I think that it is likely not true that "bad" posture causes back or neck pain. It is a popular idea to assign "postural exercises" to people with back pain. These exercises will certainly help strengthen postural muscles and maybe even create improved posture, but if the pain is from TMS they will not take the pain away. I think in reality it is two separate issues. There are a lot of variations in body structure and posture, as Sarno would say, normal "abnormalities" of posture.

The stand/sit desk is a great idea for having an option to move more and change positions through the day for general heath reasons. Having "good" posture is fine too...but not to the point you are stressed over it. If it feels unnatural, don't worry, just relax! I would focus on getting general exercise and using your sit/stand desk for general health.