1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Possibly TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Lzrs, May 18, 2017.

1. Lzrs

Lzrs New Member

Hi guys,

I'll try to keep this short :) I've had pain in both arms for the past 6 months, non stop. Sometimes it's ok, manageable, sometimes I think about ending my life (just being honest) because of it. This is a problem, since I work on a computer for a living and I enjoy video games as well.
    I've been to multiple doctors and therapists, I did several tests (MRI, EMNG) to no avail. An orthopedist told me he has no clue what to do with me and a neurosurgeon said my symptoms are atypical to say the least.

Recently, I've taken three weeks off work because of the pain, hoping it would get better, but it didn't. Yesterday, I went back to work (despite the pain being overwhelming, with tingling in both my arms) and my boss pretty much told me, in a nice way: "If you don't fix this health issue, you'll lose your job". And at that point, I felt a massive psychological relief. I just couldn't stop smiling, I was honestly happy knowing I'd never have to return to my job.

Today my symptoms are very good. I still feel some pain, but it's leagues away from yesterday. I've been examining my feelings about my job today and I realised - I hate it. I hate going there, I don't particulary like what I do and worst of all - I feel it's kind of a dead end job, despite being an office job.
    It's not the worst job in the world, but there are so many things which I dislike about it so I'm pretty convinced now that my subconscious mind pretty much orchestrated my pain, just to force me to finally do something about the whole "I hate my job, but I'll pretend I like it" situation.

I still have some tests to do and I'll schedule an apointment with the neurosurgeon once they're done (next week) just to be sure, but at this point I'm fairly certain I'll recover.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask :)

2. Jules

Jules Well known member

It sounds highly likely its TMS. Just the fact that you felt relief at being fired tells volumes about where the pain is stemming from. Have you read the TMS books, Sarno, Ozanich, et, al? Good place to start.

3. Lzrs

Lzrs New Member

I've skimmed through The Mindbody Prescription, but I'll re-read it again over the weekend, since not a lot of it stuck with me.

4. Lzrs

Lzrs New Member

Update: I've completed more tests and they're all negative. I still have some more appointments set up, but at this point I feel it's all pointless, ie. just pro forma.
    I've resumed some activity outside of work and my arms feel different. I can't say they're better, but I'm not thinking about the pain 24/7 at least.
    At this point I'm still not 100% convinced it's TMS mostly because of the the way the pain feels (if that makes sense). I'm also having trouble pushing through the pain without worrying, despite all the tests saying I'm fine.

I have no idea how to continue, honestly... I don't feel like working anymore, but I have to because money is tight and I don't feel confident enough that my simptoms will go away if i get a different job. I think the best bet would be taking a couple of months off from work to get my head or body straight, but my boss is being a major dick about the situation, not to mention without a proper diagnosis I can only get a week or two off.

If anyone has any advice, feel free to speak up :)

5. Betsy4ever

Betsy4ever New Member

Hi Lzrs, aside managing it are you using any therapies or exercises for the pain? Don't let your temporary emotions play out on you, decide wisely

6. Lzrs

Lzrs New Member

Eh, I did a bunch of various exercises and stretches, nothing really helped. The only thing that seems to help is resting it and not worrying about it so much. I think the exercises just provoke the pain, to be honest. Ice also helps when it gets inflamed