1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Possible to stop a flare?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by readytoheal, Jul 28, 2018.

1. readytoheal

readytoheal Peer Supporter

Hello. I’m curious if it is possible to stop a full on flare right away. Or must you wait it out then do the work? I’d love to know if anyone has had any success stopping the freight train, so to speak, or must it run out of steam first? Thanks in advance.

plum likes this.
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

What a great question. I have had success with this and reflecting upon it I'd say this has happened during times when I am living my most beautiful, most favourite lifestyle so I am naturally bouyed up in the day-to-day. The way that looks is I'm swimming, doing yoga, dancing (enjoying being active), which lends me to a more carefree approach to life. This buffers any emotional storms.

However if for some reason my life has become smaller and then a storm hits...well all bets are off. The flare could run for days, maybe 2-3 weeks.

I love the train metaphor. Yesterday I watched one of my all-time favourite movies for the umpteenth time. Stardust Memories. The opening scene depicts two trains; one full of happy people celebrating and the other with depressed, dour, mournful people. Woody Allen is on the depressed train and tries to change his ticket but he can't. He has to watch the happy train pull away. Something about it reminded me of tms and the momentum our emotions create that can take us one way or the other.

Unlike Woody we can trade our ticket and hop onto the happier train. We can build and maintain a positive momentum that leads to less flares and less serious ones. This is absolutely my experience.

And if we find ourselves mired a little in the other train, we simply need to brighten and lighten our load. Integrate more self-care practices into the fabric of our days, cultivate a fabulous set of circuit-breakers, and generally ensure that our cup runneth over with gorgeous feelings and emotions such as love, self-compassion, pleasure and joy. In such an emotional environment there is no need for tms so it settles back into playing GO with God.

Plum x

Jules likes this.
  3. beccaboo

beccaboo New Member

hi I don't know if you know this but we can change our subconscious behaviour and beliefs, since having a certain therapy my therapist has got my thoughts to change big time, the critical child is no longer hating on me, and I have less and lesser perfectionist thoughts and actions every week, its hard work but I see how my personality was creating illness too by being so mean to myself. having this therapy changes those beliefs so that they are gone forever and the fear, anxiety, constant worry is going too : )
    I have RTT therapy, just incase you want to look it up. im sure there are many similar styles that help too. : )
    when my symptoms flare, I talk to my brain, I tell myself there is no rush in life and I am loved and have support, I do this constant and befor ei know it im calm then the symptoms calm or go : ), I have trigger words I give myself to link to calm, such as INFORMATION , as that's all we need to heal so I say it a lot, or Walk in to Fear, to tell my brain I do not live in fear any more
    hope that helps
    forgive my grammer x