1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Possible TMS symptoms after back surgery

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Slammer, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Slammer

Slammer New Member

This is a follow up post I put up a couple of weeks ago. My big question is do other people have stiffness turning into burning pain following lumbar surgery. Add sciatica pain in the buttocks ( I think) that comes and goes. How do you treat it? I never mentioned what the symptoms were. Some thought it was TMS. I really don’t know what to do, and many people would have similar conditions.

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Well @Slammer, ‘treating it’ when you mention specific symptoms like burning, or siatica sounds like you are looking for medical advice. My personal suggestion is to speak to your medical team if that’s how you want to proceed.
    I get the feeling you are asking people what you should do, but that is really up to you. You can choose to go back to doctors and pt etc and see if that works for you or you can choose to investigate TMS more thoroughly by reading Sarno, or another TMS book or starting the excellent Pain Recovery program that’s given completely free on this site.
    I think many people suggested your symptoms COULD be TMS. If you are really not sure, contacting a TMS doctor could be a choice. There is a list of doctors on this site.
    It’s really up to you to decide your first step.

3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

That is what I had... and then I 'snapped', went out and bought John Sarno's Book "Healing Back Pain"... followed the instructions and learned everything I could about it, and I was pain free in about 3 weeks and back at my heavy duty manual labor job is 5.

That's what we do ..... learn, look and get better!!

4. Shaw

Shaw New Member

5. Shaw

Shaw New Member

I confronted my doctor and he finally admitted that he didn’t know what was causing the pain. The surgery did nothing for me . It made things worse. So now I have to conclude that I have TMS. That is for many reasons. Now I have to start working on writing and reading and research. I have read a lot and it all points to TMS. So now how to get better.

slammer (Shaw)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  6. Shaw

Shaw New Member

Have been hitting it hard on the writing and have read Steve Ozanich and healing back pain again. Don’t feel anything yet. I guess a couple of weeks isn’t enough. Anybody got any ideas how long improvement will take. This is Christmas time and may not get good results. Steve went through a terrible time and I doubt my situation is similar. I guess my question is just how hard and how many ways is this thing challenged.

7. Mr Hip Guy

Mr Hip Guy Well known member

If there is any remaining doubt, TMS will latch on to that and prolong the syndrome. We are all cynics/suspicious/etc, so sometimes it is very difficult to fully and wholeheartedly believe what is happening.

Look for clues that it's working and that will bolster your faith/belief:

Pain goes away (even just briefly)
    Pain symptoms don't make sense (sometimes they hurt - sometimes they don't, or you have "good days and bad days")
    Pain moves around, sometimes even to completely other areas (like the opposite knee or hip suddenly)

Baseball65 likes this.