1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 12 positivity

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jwiles, Aug 6, 2015.

1. jwiles

jwiles Peer Supporter

So today i wrote about half an hour all together. This is a lot more than i'm usually able to do. I wrote in segments of about five minutes each then took 2 or 3 minute breaks. I wrote overall three pages so i feel somewhat accomplished with that. This morning when i woke up i realized that i had mild pain in my back and in my left kneecap which was highly unusual to me. It went away very quickly after i got out of bed. I assume this is continuing extension bursts. Yesterday wasn't a very good one for me to be honest though. I didn't experience a lot of physical pain but i did feel very depressed overall. I finally realized something i think a lot of TMS sufferers might not. I use to think i rather deal with emotional stress than the pain that is accompanied by it. I realized that sometimes it is way easier to deal with the physical pain than the emotional pain. I realized that a positive attitude is as important to the cure as finding what negative things caused it in the first place. If you focus too much on the negative and get caught up in worrying it keeps you even more distracted. It doesn't allow your mind or body to heal. I will continue to think positive as much as possible throughout the program. I also think that some negativity is useful because it keeps us up to date with what could be causing the TMS. It's natural for us to feel negative sometimes so i'm not saying i'm going to push my perfectionist trait by trying to stay positive at all times. I am going to try to think positively more though.

What is one of your best memories from your childhood? This is a tough question for me because i did have a very happy childhood. I enjoyed my adolescent years very much. When i went to the beach with my mother father and my favorite cousin and his family. This was a very exciting trip for me. We had a lot of fun we went to an amusement park and that was a lot fun. I really enjoyed all my beach trips. But i enjoyed that beach trip more in particular for some reason.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I think you're making great progress, jwiles. Keeping positive is so very important.

Funny, but some of my best childhood memories were playing and hunting for junk that I considered treasures. I grew up in the 1930s Great Depression when nobody I knew had anything, including my older brother and sister and me. On hot summer days we kids opened the fire hydrant in the street out front of where we lived, in apartments, and got soaking wet in our underclothes or nekked. In winter we had snow ball wars and built snowmen and belly-flopped on our sled. One sled for the three of us. We had one bike for the three of us, but it was stolen the first day we had it and our folks said they couldn't afford to buy another, so we got around on roller skates, until they broke down. It was all fun. And visits to the beach at Lake Michigan (we lived in Chicago several miles from it) in Summer was great.