1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Positively using a past placebo experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by c90danwaiel, Oct 16, 2016.

1. c90danwaiel

c90danwaiel Peer Supporter

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there's a way I can use a past placebo improvement in my symptoms towards reducing my TMS.

About two months ago, I saw a pelvic floor physical therapist for what my urologist diagnosed as prostatitis. My pelvic PT believed that prostatitis was actually a muscular-skeletal issue, and said my pelvis was misaligned.

She gave me a 'realignment exercise' and my symptoms improved by 80% within 48 hrs. Nearly two weeks later, I was 90% improved.

Looking back and doing some research on pelvic alignment, I now think my improvement was a placebo (although I do think I did have some improvement from the meditation and deep breathing she had me do, which I suspect was beneficial by calming me down). I was absolutely convinced that my pain could be solved from PT going in.

The pain came back when I went on a camping trip and convinced myself that I'd thrown my pelvis back out of alignment for good. Placebo went away and the alignment exercise didn't work.

I believe 100% in TMS, so I can't use that for my evidence list, since I don't feel I need any more convincing.

Has anyone used such past experiences? I was thinking of focusing on how I wasn't in any pain and kind of meditating on that? Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions there?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  2. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

[Deleted at BeWell's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2016