1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Positive vs Negative

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Tennis Tom, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

From "OCCAM'S RACQUET" by Marcus Paul Cootsona, page 109:

"...grand plans are as much illusions, and that type of thinking and projecting takes our mind just as much out of present time as the nerve inducing gloom of the negative. Instead, be specific about one near-term step toward the goal. In moments of tension, you just need one uncomplicated, unconscious physical action to keep you here, now. And that action will only happen by reinforcing what you want to do: not by waving away what you don't want to do. Remember, positives focus you on the moment. Negatives take you out of it. Positives keep you at the task at hand. Negatives distract you in every way. You need to take the steps toward winning in order to win. And you need to take those steps one at a time."

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Tennis Tom, this is such good advice. When anxiety or fear comes on, they can be blown away by just doing something.
    If at home, pet or play with the dog or cat. Wash the dishes. Dust the furniture. Do the laundry. Put your mind on activities in the present.
    If at work, take a break and go to the water cooler, or just walk up or down a flight of stairs. If possible, find an empty office
    and practice deep breathing and meditation. Think of being somewhere peasant.

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you Walt, I've appreciated your supportive and positive comments and feedback to me even if I didn't always have the opportunity to say so, have a nice weekend and maybe throw some snowballs.:happy: