1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 33 Positive Changes Since Beginning My Journey

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by samantha, Apr 17, 2014.

1. samantha

samantha Peer Supporter

Short History- I have had chronic back pain for 8 years (diagnosed with herniated and bulging discs). At least twice a year I experienced acute muscle spasms which rendered me immobile. I did everything the doctor prescribed- muscle relaxers and 6 weeks of therapy for each episode, plus 'core' building exercises between episodes. Usually, these treatments worked well and I'd be functioning within the 6 week period. This year, I was still using a brace & cane after therapy was completed and could only walk a few feet at a time. Simple tasks were a misery, including the inability to tie my shoes. Someone told me about TMS. Although skeptical, I figured I had nothing to lose by reading Sarno's book and engaging in this program. Now a month into it, I can walk, bend down, and, when spasms occur, I can talk them out of existence! But more than that, keeping a journal and mindful meditation has allowed me to become more self-aware, has empowered me to take charge of my own schedule, has encouraged me to be kinder to myself and has enabled me to see that I am not a helpless victim. I am not 100%. But I am on the path to full recovery!

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Ellen like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Great news, Samantha. You are on the right track toward being totally pain-free.
    You have been doing all the right things Sarno, Steve, and others suggest.

Believing (in TMS) equals healing from the symptoms.

Isn't it great to feel so good again?

Thank you for sharing your positive changes experience.

3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a success story if I ever heard one samantha. I am so proud of you, Awesome
    Keep us posted.
    Bless you

samantha likes this.
  4. kindlethelight

kindlethelight Peer Supporter

Thank you Samantha for sharing such positivity. I am on DAY 1 and I feel so hopeful.

samantha likes this.
  5. samantha

samantha Peer Supporter

Welcome 'kindlethelight'! I have not been on the site for 2 weeks. I've completed the program but continue to meditate and journal. After 8 years of chronic pain I can report: I walk at least a mile a day. I can travel again for hours in the car. I have resumed my normal activities! The one challenge: people have been so used to seeing my limitations, that they freak out when I do something that they think will harm me (like lift a chair or stand for a while). When that happens, it reinforces the myth that this is a physical problem and my back will start to spasm or my knee will hurt. It is then that I 'take myself in hand' and reason this out. I know that complete healing will take time - 8 years of conditioning will take time to reverse. While on this journey, I am more conscious of my own anxieties, I am kinder to myself and I am hopeful. I know this site will give you the hope and support you need!