1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 23 Ponder...Avoiding Treatment

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by ssxl4000, Apr 23, 2019.

1. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Am I avoiding any part of the treatment? I thought I was tackling my biggest issues head on...diving into some major fights/falling outs I've had with family. However, with my counselor I realized my biggest two are ones I have somewhat avoided until last week. So, I think I'm good on that front by now.

However, I do find myself disliking one part of the treatment. I like journaling to get out my anger/fear/sadness etc. I like going to counseling too. However, these events have boundaries. I do them at predictable times and when I'm ready. I can let things out, then calm myself down and move on to something happier. What I find I'm disliking is trying to think about my issues every time a symptom pops up (which is a lot!). I know it's important to help the reprogramming, but it gets tiring. And it's scary. I don't want all of this rage to start taking over my consciousness.

Any thoughts on the best way to handle this when you have a day where the symptoms just keep coming and going all day!

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi ssxl4000,

I understand the sense of "doing a lot," and that you don't want to be feeling your rage all the time. Really, it is enough to know that it is there, and that you're connecting it with your symptoms, and Dr. Sarno's theory.

I suggest that in "thinking psychological," --and yes, the goal is dozens of times a day--- that you can do this with a very light touch. "I see, this symptom is probably a somatic experience of the sadness I don't want to feel." Or "I understand that this is about my rage at not being loved."

The in-depth work you're doing with journaling and the therapist are giving you the content which you can apply rather easily to the sensations. If you want to go deeper in the moment, this is fine too. "I wonder what my Inner Child is feeling right now about this? OK, I think it is probably _______________." That gentle asking is very supportive too, but doesn't have to be done all day long.

Andy B

3. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Thanks Andy. The few complaints I've heard about Sarno's books have to do with the vagueness of the treatment. I can kind of see that in this scenario when I start over analyzing everything. But that's good to hear that I can stick to acknowledging the general feelings during the day. I do find that a lot easier than thinking specifically about painful memories and the feelings I have uncovered with them. I can only do that so much.