1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Poi Spinning

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by Lily Rose, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

[​IMG]

I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of Poi Spinning? It is an amazing activity that opens up the shoulders and neck and upper back, works the torso muscles, and is just plain fun. It also is really great for the brain activity. I started this about 7 years ago. You can use balls on a string, flags, or even tennis balls in socks. If you go to youtube and put in poi tutorials, it breaks down each of the various 'tricks'. I use the flags for flash, and they are much lighter. I also have glow-in-the-dark balls. Spinning them creates illusions.

The end-all-be-all would be spinning fire, but I have decided against this ... I am attached to my arm hair, and I like to play alone. When spinning fire, you need a partner for safety.

This activity has contributed greatly to reducing my pain levels. Whether that be mental, or just plain unraveling the tight-tight muscles.

Being fiercely camera shy, it is rare to ever catch my face. Thus you see I post this 'safe' picture of myself.

Last Spring, I was given a temp job at the local charter school teaching SP-ED kids yoga and poi spinning. It made a huge difference to their ability and willingness to do their school work, and it soothed/calmed them. Several of them have continued spinning.

Really ... it is a fun and engaging tool for our Healing Tool Box.

p.s. I purchase my flags from Eriks Poi Toys.

With blessings ^_^

Ellen likes this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

That does looks super cool and a great for TMS. I love anything that gets the blood flowing and helps us feel more comfortable in our bodies.

I found a simple video YouTube. This is it, right?
    I saw a fire spinning demonstration the summer before last. Another graduate student from my department invited me to a party with some friends of hers. A bunch of the people there were fire spinners, so they took out their stuff and did their thing. It was outdoors on a nice summer night and was pretty magical. (Obviously wouldn't want to do that indoors. :) You might lose more than arm hairs.)​

3. Lily Rose

This is one of many variations, and quite a pretty one! Anyone can do this. Lessons can be found on youtube, or here: http://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/Library-POI-3_0_0

Don't be daunted by the final product. It is all a progression of steps. Deliciously wonderful for the body and brain ... and emotions!

^_^

4. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow! That is beautiful! Looks like a lot of fun. When I was a kid, I was in a drum and bugle corp on the rifle line. We flipped and twirled those puppies- it was all pretty amazing. I spent hours and hours practicing.

I may have to give that a try. :)

5. Lily Rose

You can start with a tennis ball and an old pair of socks. Make a knot, tuck the knot between first/second or second/third fingers so the knot is in the palm side of your hand ... voila. Poi balls.

Lots of tutorials available. It is great for the body and the mind. And it looks cool ;)

One day I'd like to try Voi, which is Veil Spinning ... a cross of belly dancing and poi. I've dabble at belly dancing. That is hard work! But fun. I like the Tribal variations. Need to haul out those dvds again ... hmmm.

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^