1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 10 Plugging along

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Shells, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Shells

Shells Peer Supporter

I went to the acupuncturist and discussed mind body with him. He used to work at a mind body institute in Georgia And I feel safe with him.

He believes much pain and illness comes from the primal brain so he is on board with me there. We talked about fear.

He in encouraged me to practice S.T.O.P several times a day.
    Scan body, Take a few deep breaths, Observe something, Proceed with your day
    It took about 2 minutes. This is something I know I can make time for, even when I don't make time to meditate.

He also recommended a book called Minding the Body, Mending the Mind by Joan Borysenko, PhD
    He says it is a simple book along the lines of The relaxation response.

I hold feelings in from many people. My husband, some friends, some co-workers.
    Hubby is biggest because of the fear generated around divorce and rejection.
    I have social anxiety and have learned to function in the world but it is still hard sometimes. I get really awkward and then build fear around it. Sometimes I can let it go but when I am feeling very vulnerable I can't as easily.

I also noticed the types of distractions TMSers use.
    Alcohol and Drugs - I am in recovery
    Nail Biting - used to a lot
    Overeating - was bulimic and anorexic
    I also over exercised
    Slept a lot in high school
    Used to watch a lot of TV

I'm sure I can add to the list. More evidence.

Thanks!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Ooh, thank you for that, Shells! I like it!