1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Please help

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by PatrickG, Feb 9, 2015.

1. PatrickG

PatrickG New Member

Hi everyone,

I have suffered from back pain for the past 3 years and exhausted EVERY conventional, and alternative option; epidural injections, pain meds (of which I became addicted to), Chiro, ART, Yoga, Acupuncture, with zero relief other than the masking of pain meds.
    One month ago, I read "Healing back pain" and FINALLY found some relief...until last week. My pain came back with a vengeance. I tried applying what I've learned in the book, ie; talking to my brain, thinking about my repressed emotions (anger) and started reading "Mind Body prescription". However, the pain has gotten so bad that I had to start taking my pain meds again. I have an appointment with Dr Raushbaum tomorrow, but does anyone know if I am missing anything. I REALLY need help! Please and thank you in advance.

IrishSceptic likes this.
  2. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Patrick, I know this seems like a dark valley right now but your report is actually really GOOD! You've tasted relief using Dr. Sarno's approach and now then BOOM! You get hit with worse pain. Yup. You're right on schedule. ;) The fact that you had such a recurrence is all the more confirmation that you're dealing with TMS.

And this is huge…you get to see Dr. Raushbaum tomorrow….YAY! He will be very helpful.

You are doing everything right. You really are. Just hang in there and be sure and let us know how your visit with Dr. Raushbaum goes tomorrow. :)

lexylucy likes this.
  3. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

lucky you get to see Dr Sarnos understudy. the fact you will have a real doctor telling you the TMS is the problem will be huge.

I would recommend 'The Great Pain Deception'' by Steve Ozanich. best TMS book in my opinion and a gruelling tale

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi PatrickG,

Welcome to the forum. If you are convinced you have TMS, start doing the SEP.

What you did with reading is great, but for most people it takes regular effort at daily practices, as the Structured Education Program guides you through. Keep the faith, and, like North Star said, you are lucky to get a convincing taste of the rightness of Dr. Sarno's approach for you. I think your experience is not uncommon at all.

Andy B.

5. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

Hi Patrick! that happened to me too. I had these incredible lifts -- free of pain and then it came back. But now, these days it has been touch and go - the pain is moving around.."new" symptoms and surprises- my brain trying to fool me. You may have opened something up and then if the emotions started to pour out there may have been a backlash. You are doing the right thing by reaching out and connecting to the forum!
    The way I see it if it helped you significantly - then chances are it will help you again and that there is a Mindbody connection.

Welcome ! :)

Like Andy said the SEP is great! I'm on Day 3 :)

6. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

You had initial rage reduction, that's common.

The knowledge of what is occurring reduces pain immediately because it renders the rage less threatening. So you didn't really "heal" when you read HBP you just found relief. Healing takes a while. It more often takes transformation, but it definitely takes a new perspective on everything.

I'll be curious to see if your meeting with Dr. Rashbaum does anything at all. Please let us know.

lexylucy and IrishSceptic like this.
  7. interstellar

interstellar Peer Supporter

Stick with it. Relief after reading tms literature is always a good sign. Rule out anything serious like cancer or a disease, and then begin your journey to healing. I say journey because like Steve said, it isn't a quick process for most people. It's a new path your on now and you must fix your life before the pain will subside.