1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Please help

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by CMA, Feb 7, 2017.

1. CMA

CMA Peer Supporter

I am a TMS follower past 5 yrs. Have poated my success story here relieved myslef of plantar fascitis, hip pain, back pain, wrist pain, anxiety. Even ran a 5k. Since past week or so I experience terrible upper back, butt. Feet, basically all tender points burning pain. It started when I ran 2.5 miles.on the treadmill, subsided aftrr 4 days of rest and ibuprofen. Yesterday again i ran 2 miles and its back.
    Yes i have been stressed teen at home, work, lots of anger with family members who have treated me wrongly.
    So i get its TMS. But its so bad. I need advice on how to go aboit. I typed last night issues bothering me, told myself a dozen times its TMS but what else. I have been home few days and need ro go back to work.
    How should i go about treating myself again? My whole body feels like on fire.
    Thank you so much as always

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

CMA, I'm so sorry that you are struggling so much with your symptoms. It sounds like you have a lot in your life to cause stress and rage. Since you already know so much about TMS, and have success in the past, the best thing I can think of is to introduce you to the concepts of Existential Psychotherapy, which really really helped me during a very difficult time in my life - also after I'd had success with TMS.

The idea is to relate your current stresses (anger at a teenager, for example) in relation to the four core issues of humanity, which are:
    Freedom
    Isolation
    Meaning
    Mortality

For example, a teenager who is defying your authority may leave you feeling abandoned (Isolation) by someone who used to be a loving child who needed you. Your unconscious brain might also be wondering why you had children (Meaning).

Family members who have "wronged" you might also leave you feeling isolated, and you may also feel like you have no control (Freedom).

Understanding the four core issues and how they relate to your current situation might be helpful. You can learn more starting with this thread:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/the-role-of-existential-anxiety-in-tms-pain.228/ (Dr. Zafirides - The Role of Existential Anxiety in TMS Pain)
    although be forwarned that a lot of the links no longer work - but on page 2 there are some links that someone found that are current.

Good luck, have faith, and be kind to yourself, okay?

~Jan