1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Please Help/Putting it all on the line

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Lynn S, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Lynn S

Lynn S Peer Supporter

I was getting close to wasting my time with another evaluation and decided to do whatever it takes to a full time basis to recover. Gee maybe I should ask for help, what a concept. To avoid getting caught up in getting ready with knowing what I should do I got started this morning. I'll have to go into work three days for three hours and have two weeks before I have a teach a two day class that I do bi-weekly.

I found TMS in December and all though there's been improvement it's been acting up like a adolescent child. I look normal most of the time but most of the time it hurts to stand, get up, or bend over. My hips and butt are extremely painful to move with sciatic pain in both legs. I laugh at the symptoms that seem to have moved around over the past few months. The only thing consistent is the pain and numbness in my right shoulder, arm, and hand since September.

I'm in and out of wheelchairs and bed and it's only a matter of time I'll be back in the hospital. My plan is physical exercise as much as I can, yoga, journaling, and learn from info in this program. I also have a meditative practice about ninety minutes daily. What tips or guidance can you give me?

2. Jules

Jules Well known member

Don’t overdo or obsess about it. The parasympathetic nervous system needs as much activation as possible, while the nervous system needs deactivation. So, my advice is to take it slow and only do a few things at once, so as not to overload your nervous system. Exercise is great, so is meditation, but don’t go gangbusters with it or the brain may feel overwhelmed, at least that was the case with me.

Challenge the pain but also know when it’s too much and you need to soothe the nervous system. It’s a balancing act, but one that will pay off in the end. Enlist the help of a TMS therapist, if you can, to get you over the tough times, and don’t give up, even when you want to. We will all overcome this challenge and be better for it!

Good luck.

Ellen, Lainey and Lynn S like this.
  3. Lynn S

Lynn S Peer Supporter

Thank you Jules for your reply. When I was writing I knew it looked like I would be obsessive. I was a bit by tracking my activities for the day. I totaled one hour on TMS one hour of exercise and hours of work from home. I feel balanced throughout the day and will take your advise. Today is a bit of the same. I'll get an hour of TMS focus and be happy to have easier less stressful days and moments. I appreciated your help.

Jules likes this.
  4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Lynn,
    I agree with Jules about not pushing yourself to hard regarding the amount of time you're spending on TMS work. Also, regarding soothing, this is important. I advise you take part of your 90 minute meditation time and experiment with activities which feel pleasurable and soothing: listening to music, self-touch, observing beauty and breathing this into the cells of your body for a few minutes, sitting in nature, using relaxation/guided meditation recordings, talking to a loved one, etc. Find out what relaxes you and helps you feel safe. Finding love, pleasure, ease, safety, or being is important each day in order to relax the nervous system.
    Andy B

Lynn S likes this.
  5. Lynn S

Lynn S Peer Supporter

Hi Andy. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Your suggestion has me greatful for the soothing time I have each day. My morning meditation is one of no focus which is important for me. I'm going to do more little things throughout my day to relax my nervous system. I think it's so funny how I can relate to this need.