1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Plantar Fasciitis MRI shows low grade tear of p.f.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by hambone, Jan 24, 2015.

1. hambone

hambone Peer Supporter

Hello, long time away from this forum. Great to see the Wiki take off and the movie.

Would like feedback on my situation. Am a veteran of TMS of back, feet, hamstring, etc, have beaten it many times. Current pain in bottom of right heel. I suspect TMS but MRI shows "low grade partial thickness interstitial tear of the plantar fascia..."

Was not prepared for the finding of a tear, makes me question whether it does need to "heal." In the past I've ignored other MRI findings of "inflammation", "irritation", as obviously TMS..

MD wants me to do physical therapy to "heal the tear." Not sure what to think now. Many thanks for any ideas on this. Steve

2. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

doctor told me I have "tear" in my knees when I have knee pain. Tear in my elbow when I have tendonitis, slipped disc that "pinch" my nerve which may result in "permanent" nerve damage without surgery. They told me my uric acid level is sky high and crystals formed in my toe. They told me my hip bone "click" and hurt because I have arthritis... They told me many other scary things. The worst is not a darn thing they did helped me. That was more than 10 years ago. All the symptoms are now gone with the help of mind body works.

3. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

quite a testimonial balto.
    I would love to see on this wiki for some to upload doctors (anonymized) of course!
    add to the bank of knowledge already here

4. Buckeye

Buckeye Peer Supporter

Was this inflammation and irritation also in your plantar fascia? Tears are normal and pain from tears are normal. A lot of medications put you at increased risks of tearing. I took an antibiotic that is associated with tears. You have objective (MRI) evidence of a tear. TMS doesn't prevent you from getting actual injuries. Recovery is usually something along the lines of stretching and slow return to full use over a 12 week period.

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I can't add much hambone, only that I had lots of pain in mid-foot, and getting an MRI, it showed "no thickening" in the fascia. On the other hand, very good chiros using hands told me I had definite problems there, and worked on it for a long time with tools, only to have no progress and finally figured out I had TMS, and this was the cure.

I guess you are in a dilemma about how long to wait to let it heal, vs just use it and ignore/TMS process cure. Good luck with that decision. Good that you already know you are subject to TMS and how to cure it, so you won't run around forever or get "fascia release surgery" like I almost did. You are already way ahead in this, in my opinion.

Andy

6. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve- I'd treat it as TMS. When my MRI showed various little tears here and there, I was very concerned. (And this was after a horrible trip and fall that had my knee horribly swollen and painful for a very long time.) My PT at the time told me those tears were just wear and tear as one ages. (I'm 50.) It resolved on its own. My achilles has been my biggest TMS challenge - after a long line of medical interventions, my dramatically knotted Achilles - jumped to the other foot. Because I still get a lot of flare ups, I think it's a tougher challenge to me because of the conditioning. I'm sure if I had imaging, it would probably show some tears. But then I remember the pain free walk I had a few weeks ago… ;)

So, even in the face of "evidence" I treat it as TMS. I get more confident with this especially when I consider how the pain and symptoms will wax and wane.

7. hambone

hambone Peer Supporter

Thanks everybody. This is the eternal curse of having TMS- you want to have a doctor check you out to rule out anything serious but this gives them the opportunity to scare the bejesus out of you with reports of "tears," "pinched nerves" etc. We have to weave our way through the minefield created by their incompetence.