1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Piriformis Question

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by SSG, Mar 12, 2015.

1. SSG

SSG Peer Supporter

Hi again! Question for people who are fighting or have overcome pain from piriformis. A brief background of my story is that I've been fighting constant right leg pain for about 15 months. At first, feared it could be a disease (in fact, I think that is what might have caused the pain), but after that was ruled out...have been working to completely accept the TMS diagnosis. Question: I know that piriformis syndrome is widely thought of as a TMS pain, but is there ever a case in which piriformis is something other than TMS? Several years ago, I had intermittent (and easily tolerated) pain in my hips...normally Advil would resolve. However, since 15 months ago, my pain has been primarily behind my knee and to the lateral side of upper calf muscle. Last year a physical therapist mentioned that she thought this pain might be caused by the piriformis muscle, but nothing was ever done...just stretches and rolling around on a tennis ball. :) However, lately I have felt more pain in my hip (along with behind knee and calf) and rolling around on the tennis ball has really alleviated the pain--for about 5-10 minutes. The pain is constant while walking and hurts less while going downhill. I would really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you!

2. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Hi SSG. I think your physical therapist might be right. I too am questioning whether the piriformis is playing a part on my inability to walk, (among other problems.) As to that tightness behind the knee, I looked up some iliotibialband syndrome band stretches because I could identify with those particular symptoms. I have been off my feet for so long that any stretching would be beneficial.

As to whether or not the piriformis is TMS, I hurt mine ten years ago by kayaking and it lasted for a few months. It is said to be very common to kayakers due to the positioning of the legs while rowing. I hope this is helpful.

SSG likes this.
  3. Markus

Markus Guest

I was diagnosed with pirifomis syndrome and it was really painful. I ended up with a very good physical therapist and the stretches and excercises he gave me not only took away the piriformis pain,but removed any pain down my leg (s), in my glutes,and my inguinal hernia repair. I need to start those excercises again.
    Mark

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I've never been kayaking, but love canoeing.
    The best vacations of my life have been those canoeing in the Boundary Waters
    of Minnesota-Ontario, called Quetico. It was like paradise.
    I still draw upon memories of those trips when I am stressed.