1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Physical healing

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ellie freegan, Jan 5, 2016.

1. ellie freegan

ellie freegan Peer Supporter

I have read on TMS literature that any physical injuries don't take more than I think it's six weeks to heal. My dad says he injured his rotator cuff in October and won't believe me when I tell him that is anyone know what the evidence is that healing does not take more than six weeks? Thanks very much

Sienna likes this.
  2. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

I totally agree with that statement regarding bones and ligaments. But what about cartilage tissue? My RMN shows some tears, and last time I injured my Dr. said that an old ulcere had re-opened. Would the 6-8 weeks timing for repair apply to this tissue as well?

Thanks in advance

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Sienna. Thinking about how long cartilage tissue takes to heal, if that indeed is the cause of your pain, is thinking structurally instead of TMS causing pain because it is psychological. You need to decide who to believe, your doctor who says your pain is from an old ulcer, or believe Dr. Sarmo that your pain is from your repressed emotions. Don't put a time clock on healing. In TMS it can take a while but Sarno says pains go away within that time if we believe 100 percent in TMS.

Sienna likes this.
  4. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Hi Walt,
    Yes you are right.
    This is why I asked, I want to make sure that we have given time for it to heal before I can treat it as tension induced.

Anyone out there with knee cartilage issues?

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Generally speaking, the time that any injury takes to heal depends upon the type of injury, the severity of the injury, and the health of the individual, including mental health and attitude. I'm pretty sure that some types of tears heal more slowly than a simple fracture, for example. I've had a couple of torn ligaments in my life, and they were much more painful and problematic than the various broken bones I've also had, all of which healed quickly. (Am I a klutz or what?)

I expect that it's up to the individual's medical practitioners to determine how much time any particular injury can be expected to heal to the point where the person can engage in physical rehabilitation, and that's important, because without PT, many injury sites involving major muscles can't fully recover to the point before the injury, due to lack of use.

So, Ellie, you need to know what your father's doctor says about this injury, and what recommendations have been made for physical therapy. If the injury is past the point where the doctor says that PT should have begun, that's the next step. If your father refuses to do PT because of pain, that's a problem, mentally and emotionally, because he needs physical therapy to re-learn how to use his shoulder without fear.

If he's done the PT and is not experiencing any positive changes, then TMS is a likely culprit, but if he's resistant to that, your chances of convincing him are probably not great. This may not be a battle you can win, but don't beat yourself up about it if you fail - because at least you tried! And you can try again in the future if he keeps complaining and not doing anything.

Good luck,

Jan