1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Physical Activity

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by ceturner, Aug 14, 2015.

1. ceturner

ceturner Newcomer

When was the last time you exercised or did another physical activity? What was this activity? How did it make you feel physically and emotionally? If it is has been a while since you last exercised, why?

I've been walking regularly, which was one of the few things that actually helped my back pain overall. However, in a weird way I noticed it would also (seem to) aggravate my back during certain activities. For example, it would hurt more getting out of my car if I drove after a long walk.

Despite all this, I have notice a reduction in pain just from the short time I've been dedicated to this program. (And I have deliberately NOT been sitting up straight, stretching, doing core exercises, etc.) I am thinking of running again, which I had to stop doing last year because it (seemed to) make the pain worse. I would really love to have the freedom to run again! I never realized this until being asked the above question, but running made me feel empowered.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

CE, you can find a TON of posts (maybe too many!) about running and about members who recovered enough to take up their beloved activity again. I would recommend going to the Success Stores subforum, and doing a keyword search on running or jogging. Although you won't find me posting under either keyword :p

ceturner likes this.
  3. KevinB

KevinB Well known member

Great news! Keep up the work, you will get results. One thing, around day 2 or 3 of the program you should've been asked to set a date to reach a goal - you could use running as a goal to do on a specific date. For me, walking caused a great deal of pain. I set a goal to do a 2-3 mile walk that I used to do weekly, but I set it out about 4 weeks. The date came, I was scared, but did it, and got through it. Form there my recovery really picked up. So I recommend it.

Best,

Kev

ceturner and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Kevin , that's wonderful progress. You'll be a long-distance walker soon.

Ceturner, you're going to be running again real soon. Keep up the belief in TMS.

ceturner likes this.
  5. ceturner

ceturner Newcomer

Thanks, everyone! Kev, thanks for the reminder. I must've missed the part where I was supposed to set a goal. I will get on that asap. :) (I just realized what I said...must be my perfectionist side coming out! haha)

JanAtheCPA likes this.