1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 3 Physical Activity

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Chris, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Chris

Chris Newcomer

Other than Physical Therapy I have not exercised for over a year. I have done very limited phyiscal activity. I have been extremely apprehensive to move, period. It has gotten a little better over the past 3 months, by my FEAR holds me back.

I need to go up and down stairs at work 10 times a day. I have taken to running up them while zig zagging every time as a test of myself. It does not cause pain, but does generate hesitation.

Prior to developing this back/neck/wrist/foot problem I was a hiker, I remodeled my basement. I would lift things without hesitation.

I had been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder 10 years prior to this happening, I was on an SSRI drug for a long time and had been off of it for the year prior to this incident starting. It had been creeping back up on me before I hurt my back, once that happened I had a near nervous breakdown.

Therefore, anything with the word "TENSION" in it is probably an accurate diagnosis!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Chris. It sure looks to me that your pain is TMS, from anxiety and fear of hurting yourself if you exercise.

I'm not a doctor but I stay clear of drugs to treat anxiety, depression, etc. I prefer herbal supplements.
    Kava Kava worked for me a few years ago when I just took one. The calm feeling lasted days and I rarely needed to take another.

Recently I've read great things about the natural herb St. John's Wort for treating anxiety. I ordered some jell tablets and will
    see how they work for my anxiety. Mine is, I think, mainly due to financial worries, which Dr. Sarno causes TMS symptoms.

Maybe do a google search to learn more about Kava Kava and St. John's Wort. If you try them, don't let that take the place of
    TMS study and healing. Keep up the SEP program and practice the other TMS healing techniques you'll find in the TMSWiki subforums.

Happy New Year and live in and enjoy each moment.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Also, to help relieve anxiety I drink hot decaffe tea with honey, or a cup of hot milk.
    Together with deep breathing, I calm down right away.

4. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Regarding herbal supplements I had terrible side effects from these natural products....amazing to say they where a lot worse then the meds I been taking...I guess different things effect people.