1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3 Physical Activity

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Mara, May 25, 2014.

1. Mara

Mara Peer Supporter

Since the neck pain, I haven't been avoiding physical activity in the sense of exercise. I don't exercise any more or less than before. What I avoided a lot was sitting for long periods and looking down, because looking down seemed to make my neck worse. Also, a couple PTs had told me not to crane my neck down but to use reading stands, prop books up on pillows, etc. As a result, I cut way down on recreational reading and handwriting in my journal, which were two of my major destressors and pleasures in life.

Slowly I am getting back to reading in a normal position, such as sitting in a coffee shop and looking down at my book on the table or sitting in a regular soft chair and looking down. It still hurts to look down too long but I am building up. I don't want to spend the rest of my life carting heavy reading stands all over the place or sitting in a straight back wooden chair with a book propped up on a straight stand. like a pilgrim in a little red schoolhouse or something!

If I'm at home, I will sometimes rest my book or kindle on a pillow in my lap, simply because it feels more comfortable to have the reading material closer to my eyes. I'm not sure it that's an unnecessary holdover from the bad pain days or simply a position that's more comfortable. It's hard sometimes to figure out what is simply good ergonomics and what is fear of pain. Something to think about.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, your doing fine. Letting go of the structural thoughts is very important in our healing. If you want to get comfortable there's no problem with that.
    Bless you

3. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Hi Mara,
    I've done similar things as you. Bought a stand up desk for my computer - a million different desk chairs - taken ergonomics classes, posture classes, oy vey! You name it. I've done it. But now I am getting more and more comfortable with whatever my body needs at the time. I've been slow to regain physical strength - worried, etc. and have held back. But I"m finally now, at the point - where I am pretty confident of what I can do. I did it like you - slow and steady. It gave me lots of opportunities to practice psychological thinking instead of structural. Keep up the good work!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.