1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

physical abnormality

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by hollywoodtocome, Feb 5, 2014.

1. hollywoodtocome

hollywoodtocome New Member

Well, ive been on here a couple times and i guess i just need more help. My hips are crooked, visibly, the docs say from my slipped disc pain. My body is leaning away from the pain. Does anyone have any experience in this type of physical abnormality as being tms? Also, what more deeper stuff would not be tms besides cancer?

2. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

Hi welcome.

if you are in an area where you could be examined by a TMS physician that would be a good place to find out more info about the possibility of real physical issues, or TMS.

Are you in a big city?

3. hollywoodtocome

hollywoodtocome New Member

Thanks for your response. I live near Chicago. I looked and there is a TMS therapist but would he be able to tell me?

4. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Hollywoodtocome,

I just want you to know I did have leaning on my right side; leaning away from my pain. I felt like my whole body was crooked. I did not
    go to the TMS doctor I go to but just kept telling myself this is going to pass. It eventually did. I would actually limp when I walked
    to that one side.

I think the strategy of TMS is to get us so intimated by the symptoms. I find that sometimes I feel very in control but then a new symptom
    often takes me my surprise and I am challenged with fear about the new symptoms.

Try to think what is the underlying reason (psychology) for the pain instead of concentrating on the symptom. It is a catch 22 because the symptoms
    are always trying to talk to you monopolizing your every thought trying to figure out what is going on.

It is good to go to TMS doctor just to give you more confidence. Often, if you get a new symptom you can just call them and they will
    evaluate it on the phone.

I know how upsetting it can be to try to figure out if the symptom is truly TMS. It is overwhelming and intimidating. I am not a medical doctor
    and I don't know your case but I would think it is TMS; don't hesitate to check it out with a TMS doctor it will elevate a lot of stress.
    Trust that your brain (mind/body) knows how to heal itself. I am realizing I need to respect the process of healing. It is surely not easy for
    me; I fight it with tooth and nails because I want it know. I guess I am learning to develop patience.

Please, post how it is going. And know this to will pass.
    G.R.

5. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

There is a list of TMS physicians somewhere on this site. You could look there. You'd want a physician first, if you can find one.

Take care

6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Illinois
    Peter R. Brown, PsyD, DAAPM, FABMP (Therapist)
    Pain Psychologist
    Noninvasive Healthcare Institute, Ltd
    9601 West 165th Street, Suite 6
    Orland Park, IL 60467
    drsatbrownstone@yahoo.com
    (708) 646-8070

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    John StracksJohn Stracks, MD
    (Physician)
    Dr. Stracks believes that the mind and body are intimately connected and that almost all disease processes involve an interplay between the two. His training in integrative medicine has taught him that all treatment plans must include not only a mind and body component but a social and spiritual component as well. In addition, Dr. Stracks believes that the most powerful interventions involve changes in nutrition, activity level, and other lifestyle areas, and he works to partner with patients to effect these changes. Dr. Stracks believes that many conditions can be controlled or even reversed with mind-body techniques, lifestyle changes, and other integrative therapies, and he likes working with patients and their primary physicians to safely reduce medication use whenever possible. (Source)

Northwestern Memorial Physicians Group Center
    for Integrative Medicine and Wellness
    1100 E. Huron Street Suite 1100
    Chicago, IL 60611
    312-926-DOCS (3627)
    jstracks@yahoo.com
    Co-host of first TMS conference.
    TMS Wiki Profile / Survey Response / Q&A Answers / Website
    Insurance Accepted: Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, Humana, Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, Unicare, United Health Care, and other PPO network plans

G.R. likes this.
  8. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

I would definitely recommend seeing Dr. Stracks who lives in your area. Going to a TMS therapist can also be very helpful.
    G.R.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hollywoodtocome, you're getting great advice from G, Msunn, and Tennis Tom.
    I hope you will give Dr. Stracks a call. I don't know him or about him but worth trying.

Meanwhile, keep thinking it's TMS. The more you believe and look into repressed emotions, the better.