1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Personality traits

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Imagyx, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Imagyx

Imagyx Peer Supporter

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_Personality_Traits

This page has opened my eyes wide.
    I have almost every personality trait listed on that page.
    And I don't say that some of every item applies to me, it's the whole package.
    I didn't ever think of most of them in a bad way, I actually thought
    it's good to have these traits. Maybe that's kind of perfectionistic as well, trying to have
    every trait there is.
    Everyone who is new to TMS should read that page I think. It helps accept the diagnosis a lot,
    but at least gives more insight to one's personal past, triggers and appearance of symptoms.

I'll list some of these items that apply to me here:
    Yes yes yes...
    Some of these are extremely active in me:
    Do you always have some sort of task that needs to be done ?
    Yes, more than one task, more like a dozen.
    Do you think that the world would be a better place if everyone had your views?
    I have a lot to critize on our world and for every matter I have my own point of view how to make it better.
    Are you embarrassed to cry in front of your friends and family?
    As I posted in some other thread, there's very few people I can even speak to about emotions.
    When your family members go somewhere do you worry that something terrible might happen to them?
    I'm always concerned about what might happen to my girlfriend when we're not together. This is not only anxiousness, but also dependency I think.
    Have you found that little events can make you react in an extreme manner?
    The tiniest things even, and on a daily basis.
    Do you routinely get "road rage" or extremely angry/frustrated when you are driving?
    I think this goes with the legalist trait as well. Yes.

Thanks a lot for that page.
    Now for a question:
    What can I do ? This is who I am, my very core I think...
    Need for change or just acceptance or is there more to do with this knowlegde ?

2. Jamie

Jamie New Member

You're asking what you can do but I'd like to point out that you've already begun to do it. You recognized the personality traits in yourself and shared your concerns here, which sounds like a big step (I know it was for me). So often, we try so hard to make something happen or change something about ourselves... in other words, a task oriented approach which feeds into the the personality trait of always having something to do. I think its great to take action steps in a positive direction, as long as they don't contribute to the stress. I have found that the daily practices are a great help... and keep reading. I feel a little more enlightened with every article and personal story I read.

I don't think these personality traits are the core of who we are. I think they are just learned behavior to help us deal with life's events and past events.

Thank you for your post. I really appreciated it.

x Jamie

Imagyx likes this.
  3. Imagyx

Imagyx Peer Supporter

Thank you for your kind answer Jamie.

What you say applies also to me, reading lots of articles, stories and suggestions for getting better.

After reading about all these personality traits yesterday I thought very often "now you're doing it again...".
    Maybe I'm already trying to hard, because it's day 20 of the SEP and I understand and accept so much but
    didn't get the relief like some of the fast-cured TMSers out there.
    Like Forest said in one of his videoblogs, one can try to hard to recover.
    It's just that I want to lead a normal life and I've always set my stakes too high.
    I get more and more to the point where I think that just being happy should be enough, whatever I achieve in life.

Have a nice day.
    Chris