1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Personality traits of a TMS'er from Sarno's and Steve's books

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by IndiMarshall, Jul 23, 2015.

1. IndiMarshall

IndiMarshall Well known member

I made note of many personality traits of a TMS'er after reading through Sarno's and Steve Ozanich book (14,15,16,17 chapters). There are many more to add. For now I am posting these. For some the very thoughts towards these personality traits will give healing as told by clay Warnick in a TMS interview. Its on Youtube.
    Here are some of them. Please feel free to add anymore if you think. I will regularly add more as I read the book-
    • Angry
    • Highly Anxious
    • Judgmental
    • Loving
    • caring
    • Highly self -conscious
    • Over sense of responsibility
    • people pleaser
    • perfectionist
    • Making sure every one is happy
    • Worrier
    • Fear
    • Feeling of Inferiority
    • Frustration
    • Irritation
    • Sensitive to criticism
    • controlling
    • obsessive compulsive disorder
    • Goodist
    • criticizing others
    • Blames themselves a lot
    • SHOULD's and MUST's are the traits
    • Obligations
    • Trouble with family members
    • Hyper responsible
    • Empathetic
    • Non confrontational
    • Fear of making mistakes
    • High Tension
    • Nit picking on others looks and traits
    • Important that everyone like him/her
    • Upsets if anyone dislikes him/her
    • Pressure to behave a in a certain way
    • Never say no friends
    • Need to be loved, admired and respected
    • Extremely disciplined
    • craving for over stimulation, drugs/alcohol/smoking/sex
    • The need for more information
    • Over analyzing
    • The need to fantasizing, exaggerating or to engage in hyperbole.
    • Low self esteem
    • Super ego
    • crave for approval of others
    • High tension
    • Distance themselves from emotions.
    • Very honest
    • Absorbing personality like chameleon in order to fit into any surroundings.
    • Rarely asking for help, Since TMSer is busy giving it.
    • coping too well.
    • Feel Undeserving
    • Taking everything very personally
    • Pretending as if nothing has hurt them.
    • Thinking that it is bad to show the anger.
    • Feeling Guilty.
    • The feeling of 'Everybody has to like me'.
    • Multi Tasking

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, IndiMarshall. Thanks for posting that laundry list of personality traits that can cause TMS.
    I think a lot people have most if not all of them. It's called being human. Dogs have none of them.
    They live in the present moment and I don't think they have any thoughts of the past or future.
    They do want everyone to like them, and that's easy for us, because they love us and unconditionally.

So we deal with our personality traits and hope we can modify them so they don't cause us pain.
    Keeping positive and knowing that our personality traits cause us pain, and that it is not structural,
    helps us get through our day, night, and life. Bless us all!

3. IndiMarshall

Thanks Walt. It is indeed my pleasure to put it down. It gives me a chance to think towards those personality traits while I write them here. I never realized I have buried those traits with in my unconscious mind. I have most of them.

Voww that example of Dog is great.
    Sarno in his book said, mother nature is kind to us in this instance that we dont need to change those personality traits of us instead being aware is enough.

Thank you for your encouraging words.

4. IndiMarshall

Also I started hearing to your podcasts. They are great. Just finished the first podcast which I mentioned below. Just realized that I forgot to hear to Introduction.

April 15: Eric's Journey - 1 & Walt's Journey - 1

5. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Indy, that list you posted cover just about everyone that every walk this earth, except maybe Buddha and Jesus. :)
    Personally I think "fear and worrier" caused probably about 99% of all tms symptoms.

6. IndiMarshall

Hi Balto surprisingly I posses all those personality traits lolll except couple of them.

7. kchung

kchung New Member

Will, I think Jesus would have developed TMS too, because he was loving, caring, a goodist, and super-responsible, and probably a few more things on your list. In other words, EVERYONE on earth should have TMS?

Tennis Tom likes this.
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, kchung. We know that Jesus agonized before he was arrested and crucified. He must have been filled with anxiety and fear in the Garden of Gethsemene. He definitely had a "goodist" personality, taking the sins of mankind on his own shoulders. Your thoughts on this subject are very welcome and worth thinking about as we think of our own pain.

From reading posts every day on this wonderful web site, I can tell that fear and worry afflict most everyone and know myself that they cause physical and emotional pain. But we need to remember that what we worried about or feared would happen yesterday, never came about. And what we worry or feear about today most likely will not happen tomorrow. So we should, and I try to, live in the present moment and think positive. Do things and think things that make us happy and that drive away worries and fears. I practice deep breathing to calm my worries and fears. And I laugh as often and much as I can. Laughing is one of the healthiest things we can do for our body, mind, and spirit. And it costs nothing.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  9. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr. Sarno said TMS is part of the HUMAN CONDITION.