1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Personality Trait: Dependency

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by fishy, Jul 8, 2020.

1. fishy

fishy New Member

As I make my lists, I have a question about the Dependency personality trait discussed in the Wiki.

Dependency has the following quote: "Having the desire to be taken care of is a normal characteristic. However Western culture teaches us that this is wrong, so people repress this desire. " The entry goes on to describe dependent personality characteristics like avoiding leadership, etc.

I am extremely anti-dependent due to my upbringing by two unsafe adults. I don't have any of the behaviors listed under Dependent personality, but go the opposite way to an unhealthy extreme. Does this mean that I am fully repressed in this characteristic, opening the door for TMS from repression? I think this is probably the case but wasn't sure if I was thinking this through correctly. Of course, self doubt is one of my issues, so here we go again I guess!

plum and Baseball65 like this.
  2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I think you just nailed that on the head. In fact, that was the most succinct acknowledgement of the conflict I have ever read. None of us wants to be dependent consciously and yet we are.... I don't now how to grow corn or run electricity to my house? In my original copy of HBP I have a lot of notes about responsibility vs. FREEDOM. That conflict might be the primary one for a lot of us. Good call...

plum likes this.
  3. fishy

fishy New Member

Oh my goodness you used the word FREEDOM and I got chills. The issue of freedom is so huge for me and sets up so many stress reactions in my life. You are so right!
    Even with pain and illness, my first gut reaction to it is a limit on my FREEDOM that must be resisted at all costs! WHY CAN'T I BE FREE is my primary thought process in those times.

plum likes this.
  4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I have FREEDOM stamped through me like a stick of rock yet the root cause of my TMS is codependency.
    beerbuds