1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 12 Personality question

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by 2BT4U, Jan 5, 2016.

1. 2BT4U

2BT4U New Member

Is it possible to have many different personality traits?

After reading the TMS Personality Traits Page I'm beginning to think I may have many faces of Eve! I have no clue which one since I have many from the traits listed!

Thanks!

2. Moppy

Moppy Peer Supporter

I sure hope so,2BT4U, because I've got an awful lot of them too! I think everybody has many different aspects to their personality – life would be pretty dull otherwise. I know that I am a perfectionist, a goodist, I get anxious and fearful sometimes and I can be a bit of a legalist. After reading the TMS traits list myself this morning, I also realised that I have a problem with dependency....Yikes! Plenty to work on… In some ways, this is all quite reassuring though as it supports my belief that I do in fact have TMS as I have so many of these personality characteristics. From what I have read both in Dr Sarno's book as well as on this forum, just recognising that we have these traits takes us a fair way into the journey towards healing. All the best!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Moppy has it right, 2BT4U. The list is like a tool for self-diagnosis. The more of these traits that you exhibit, the more likely it is that your symptoms are the result of TMS. Not only that, these traits are things that you can work on improving as you make this journey, because they are among the distractions that keep your negative emotions from being acknowledged.

I love Moppy's example of discovering hidden traits. Most of us recognize the two prime traits immediately - perfectionism and goodism. It often takes us awhile to acknowledge some of the others.

For example, I don't think a single one of my friends or even my family would consider me to be hostile or aggressive - but they have no idea what goes on inside my head when I'm driving in the city! Good grief. I know now that it's part of the fight-or-flight mechanism, and apparently driving makes me want to fight! It was pretty interesting once I finally recognized this trait. Now I'm working on being more mindful of this tendency, and letting it go....

dsihaya likes this.
  4. 2BT4U

2BT4U New Member

Thank you for the replies Moppy and Jan,

I find it very interesting knowing we with TMS can have so many personalities! It's so funny Jan when you mentioned about your hidden hostile/agressive posonaility, I'm the same way people would never think I could be a hostile person until something triggers it. Driving OMG is the worse!

Here's a interesting thing that happened to me..... I had to have a gastroscopey done at the hospital a couple of years ago. I was to be sedated for the procedure. When the nurse came and got me from the waiting area. I didn't like her attitude, very miserable person she should have retired years ago! Anyhow she got me and told me to sit out the procedure room until I was called. About 20 minutes went by then she called me in. I could clearly feel something wasn't right in the air. Grumbling between her and the doctor going on about breaks etc. All I wanted was to get the whole thing over with. I was given the sedation and lights out for me. Well, I woke up covered in blood! I yelled for the nurse saying WTF happened? Her reply was I pulled out my IV. I didn't find out until I seen the doctor for the results that I spent my time fighting with the nurse and they couldn't finish the procedure! LoL So, could that be caused my my subconscious at work?

JanAtheCPA and Moppy like this.