1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Persistent Chronic neck pain!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by marine89, Jan 1, 2019.

1. marine89

marine89 Peer Supporter

What if the persistent chronic neck pain i have been experiencing the last 4 years is an actual physical mechanical problem in my neck!? I have a friend that had similar symptoms as me and ended up having a migraine surgery where they decompress the nerves in the neck that are being squeezed by either muscle or fascia etc. He is now 90 pct better, even tho for years ALL of his imaging was normal and nothing was ever physically found!! The nerves in the neck are very small and not visible on imaging. Could this be my issue, or keep on the TMS belief system even tho its not helping or doing a thing for my pain

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

I have 3 herniated discs in my neck and I suffer from migraines but I never heard of this surgery. I did have a nerve block a few months ago which did absolutely nothing for my neck pain or my migraines. I really wonder if your friend had a placebo effect? I have an apt. with a neurologist next week so I'll ask her about this and get back to you.

I know that Dr. Sarno himself suffered from migraines and from what I remember he pretty much debunked these types of ideas re. nerve entrapment etc etc...

Coffeeplease likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi marine89,

Welcome to the Wiki and Forum. Your question is a good one, which many before you have asked, including me. When I embraced Dr. Sarno's work I was scheduled for a nerve release surgery, after visiting several physicians, and having several recommend surgery.

The best process in order to answer your question is to make an assessment of your diagnosis, symptom history, personality, etc. To see how much support you have for a TMS diagnosis. At the same time, can you, in any exams you have, "rule out" the physical, or find non-conclusive results? For instance with me, I had a nerve conduction test which came back normal. Then I had another nerve test which showed "surgery needed." This was with Dr. Dellon's work, which the more I researched it, the more suspect that test, and his view became to me.

I have worked with several people who have had nerve release surgery, after which they obtained relief for months or even years. Then the pain came back. They found that TMS work actually addressed the pain when they knew more, and connected symptoms to emotional states.

I am not sure if you have checked out the programs at the Wiki. They are highly recommended. I also suggest you search out nerve success stories in the Forum. For many the TMS approach takes time.

I get that you're discouraged and in pain, like so many understand here. Good luck with your decisions and progress.

Andy B

miffybunny likes this.
  4. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Andy B,

From what I gather the whole diagnosis of nerve entrapment (nerves that need to be released somehow) is pure fantasy. It sounds good but is it an actual phenomena? How the heck can you even diagnose something like that? I've had millions of different unpleasant tests and procedures and they were ALL totally ineffective. I went down one rabbit hole after another. The longer I live, the more skeptical I become lol!! We underestimate the power of the mind in all things.

MiffyBunny

5. Andy Bayliss

Not being a physician, I hesitate to give an opinion. Nerve entrapment was not true for me and many others, of that I am certain. I think it is probably mostly false, based on the belief by most in the medical community that pain must have a physical cause.

fredb likes this.
  6. marine89

marine89 Peer Supporter

Its crazy hard to believe in a psychological cause when you can press on the spot in your neck (the size of a penny) and it reproduces the severe pain sensation you feel. It makes you feel like somethings certainly in there thats broken, compressed or whatever!! I mean if it was psychological, why choose that one particular penny sized spot to wreak havoc

7. Andy Bayliss

The psychological "imitates" the physical. Just like my feet hurt in certain places with pressure. I hope you can continue to inquire with all medical tests, etc. that you need to sort it out. I went to about 12 physicians trying to not have surgery, and some of these did have uncertain diagnoses. By the time I got to Dr. Sarno's work, I had some support from a TMS physician which was very helpful. I recommend this, if you can access it.

8. Marls

Marls Well known member

Hi marine89 (fisherman?). I had nerve damage which affected neck face teeth etc which slowly went away of its own accord. After 12 months of stress I woke up with all the identical symptoms and have since learned it was “the psychological imitating the physical”. No definitive diagnosis but Sarno points out the brain will look for an old area already recognised for pain. I too have my penny spot and my hand sneaks around there seeking trigger points which I read about on curalistic.com. Keep learning, seeking, asking. I am not fully pain free but the relief I felt when I “knew” it was TMS was very comforting and maybe liberating.

Coffeeplease likes this.
  9. kekeily

kekeily Newcomer

Taking medicine is always risky, first try physical therapy: massage, stretching, electric neck and back heating pads, maybe you can consider acupuncture treatment. This is all the effective methods I tried. Hope you get rid of neck pain as soon as possible!

10. anat

anat New Member

can i ask u about fascia adhesions in the palm? is it reversible?