1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Perseverance

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Aug 23, 2013.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Several people have recently posted asking how long it takes for Dr. Sarno's theories on TMS pain to heal. Forest and Herbie and others have said those in pain should not expect a time frame for healing but to concentrate on discovering the repressed emotions that cause TMS pain. It takes time and work for most of us, but we do heal.

I thought it would be helpful to start a thread on perseverance, because that's one of the main secrets to healing.

I've done some book reading and surfed the web and found some very good quotes from famous people who have become successes in many fields and efforts because they never gave up. I hope they can inspire those who are working toward their healing.

Here goes:

When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there. ~Josh Billings

The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground. ~Author Unknown
    Fall seven times, stand up eight. ~Japanese Proverb

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did. ~Newt Gingrich

He conquers who endures. ~Persius

The race is not always to the swift, but to those who keep on running. ~Author unknown, in reference to Ecclesiastes 9:11

It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life

People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them. ~G.B. Shaw, Mrs. Warren's Profession, 1893
    There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream. ~Author Unknown

The drops of rain make a hole in the stone not by violence but by oft falling. ~Lucretius

Don't be discouraged. It's often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock. ~Author Unknown

Saints are sinners who kept on going. ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking. ~Buddhist Saying

Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb but how well you bounce. ~Vivian Komori

You learn you can do your best even when it's hard, even when you're tired and maybe hurting a little bit. It feels good to show some courage. ~Joe Namath

Never stop pedaling to power your dreams. ~Terri Guillemets

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday. ~Author Unknown

One may go a long way after one is tired. ~French Proverb

Never think that God's delays are God's denials. Hold on; hold fast; hold out. Patience is genius. ~Georges-Louis Leclerc

Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines. ~Robert Schuller

Sometimes you must cross a bridge and other times you need to burn it. But, always keep building one and never lose your faith in life. ~Dodinsky, www.dodinsky.com

Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist but the ability to start over. ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable. ~Thomas Foxwell Buxton

When your dreams turn to dust, vacuum. ~Author Unknown
    Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second. ~William James

Difficult things take a long time, impossible things a little longer. ~André A. Jackson

Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use. ~Earl Nightingale

Let perseverance be your engine and hope your fuel. ~H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go. ~William Feather

Big shots are only little shots who keep shooting. ~Christopher Morley

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before. ~Jacob A. Riis

My thought: And just give love. To others and to yourself, and keep giving love.

cat and fawn.jpg

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Always give life a kiss and purr

I love this thread Walt - Magnificent, Thanks

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Glad you liked the thread. Like the cookbook I mentioned...
    if we get one good recipe out of it, it's worth the price of the book.
    So it is with one good quote on perseverance.

4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I have hundreds of perseverance quotes- it is the main factor
    ill start putting 1 a day starting tomorrow Walt.

I love this one you found by Hollywood Joe-

You learn you can do your best even when it's hard,
    even when you're tired and maybe hurting a little bit.
    It feels good to show some courage.
    ~Joe Namath

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Great, Herbie. Keep the perseverance quotes coming.

6. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I love your quotes, Walt! As a scientist, I found that most groundbreaking discoveries were due more to diligence than to genius.

I now work in a large middle school, and I'm being slammed with symptoms before the kiddos return. I keep assuring myself....relax, you can do this and do it well....and I'm a little mystified as to why my subC is throwing so much pain my way these days. I can usually get it to go away, but I wish I could figure out the source. Unlike a lot of my fellow teachers, I'm always EAGER to welcome the kids back. Of course, this is the first year that I'll be going back and my husband isn't working, since he's now "retired." Maybe it's all about that. Who knows? I'm just grateful for the tools to deal with all this :)

7. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

BTW, I love the photo. It looks like my cat, Aura!

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Gigi, no doubt in my mind that starting back to working with kids in the middle school causes you TMS pain. I love kids, but they can
    be a pain in the neck (and back). They have so much energy they can drain it from everyone else.

Wouldn't it be great if a class could be included to teach kids how to slow down and relax? Just closing their eyes and deep breathing would be so helpful to them and their teachers. Maybe you could find time for that for yourself, in between classes.

Aura looks like she loves being held. Annie used to, but now she just wants it from everyone else who visits us. It's okay with me
    because I know how secure she feels in my love. She was abandoned as a puppy and it took her awhile to realize I was keeping her and she had a new home with someone who loved her and would never give her up. She's a real joy to me.