1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Peripheral Sensitisation and TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by InfinityLines, Jan 30, 2021.

1. InfinityLines

InfinityLines New Member

Hi Everyone!

Back in 2019 after an MRI showed nothing wrong, a doctor diagnosed me with "Peripheral Sensitisation of structures in the spine", I have been living with chronic back pain since late 2016.

I have seen another post on here talking about Central Sensitisation and its relationship to TMS: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/nerve-inflammation.18578/ (Nerve inflammation)

Is it fair to assume that Peripheral Sensitisation is also TMS? I have tried physios, osteopaths, acupuncturists, chiropractioners, alternative medicine but to no avail. I do believe this is now psychological.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    miffybunny likes this.
  2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

This is exactly how bizarre diagnoses are born. Doctor could not find anything wrong with you but felt obliged to give you a diagnosis, instead of telling that "it is all in your head". When I understood that my "irreversible nerve damage" was all in my head, I had a sense of enormous relief, because I could control that "something" that was in my head. Guess what, my irreversible nerve damage is not there anymore, I no longer have any symptoms. The fact that you tried just about any treatment under the stars without success tells me that what you have is TMS.

birdsetfree and miffybunny like this.
  3. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Central Sensitization is a trendy term in the literature right now that implies a locked in disease or inflammation of the brain. Utter nonsense! Dr. Schubiner refuses to even use the term and instead calls it neural circuit pain which is very much reversible. It's such a shame that so much iatrogenic harm is caused by these labels and nocebeos to already suggestible, vulnerable patients. People get medicalized and it's almost a deprogramming that needs to happen in order to embrace the TMS diagnosis.

TG957 and birdsetfree like this.
  4. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

After 15 years of back pain and trying everything to fix it, I too was diagnosed with central and peripheral sensitisation. I was given treatment for this which consisted of body mapping, breathing exercises and gradually introducing normal movement. This did not work as I was not addressing the true cause which was my brain protecting me from what it perceived as dangerous emotions. Thereafter I stumbled upon TMS treatment and within eighteen months I was recovered. Pain down my legs was gone. Numbness in my feet was gone. Pressure on my spine was gone. Severe pain in my back with any activity was gone. As miffybunny so rightly expresses above, I had to deprogram my beliefs that I had a physical issue to one that accepted it was purely psychological and brain induced.

TG957 and miffybunny like this.
  5. TG957

We need to start collecting those fancy diagnoses and have a separate thread to just have a list so people can do a simple search and find their "diagnosis" listed there.

These ones, central sensitization and peripheral sensitization, are truly special in how they get an inch close to "brain sensitization", which what TMS truly is, but fail to travel that inch to tell the patient that what they have the emotional sensitization of brain aka TMS.

I am still trying to get over my shock that thousands of presumably intelligent people (I always believed that only the smart ones get admitted to the medical schools!) accept that pain can affect emotions but refuse to accept that a reverse connection over the same neural circuit is possible.

Balsa11 and miffybunny like this.
  6. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes lol! I could write a book on the crazy rabbit holes I went down between myself and my son who has autism! In the autism world there are entire cottage industries of the se "Dan doctors" who follow biomedical protocols and hawk supplements and special diets...all sorts of cray theories abound. Vaccination controversy, fungus, mold, mercury...the list goes on and on and on. The treatments I heard about were ozone therapy, hyperbaric oxygen, magnets...the list is endless. I was diagnosed with Lyme disease at one point and that's another wacky racket. Unfortunately there is no end to unscrupulous charlatans, greed and misinformation in the world. Some practitioner may be well intended but cause more harm due to huge deficits in understanding the nature of chronic pain. Pain Management alone is a mammoth industry and the opiate crisis has been the result.

TG957 likes this.
  7. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

It's easier to watch your emotions change when soothing pain, but pain builds after a lot of emotions and lingers after the emotions reset

TG957 likes this.
  8. TG957

Well said!