1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Perioral dermatitis and other skin issues

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by balance4me, Jan 31, 2020.

1. balance4me

balance4me New Member

My teenaged daughter has perioral dermatitis (she has had multiple skin issues since childhood) and I am convinced it is TMS. Her personality fits the profile exactly.

I cured myself of multiple issues 25 years ago with Dr. Sarno's book, and have recommended it to many people since, including my husband, a highly skeptical engineer, who managed to cure his back pain with the book.

In searching the forums for skin issue equivalents of TMS, I have not found many stories of conclusive success. I need more evidence to convince my daughter--who is very skeptical that this can help her.

Can anyone out there speak to rashes, hives, dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, or other skin disorders and how they cured them/it with Sarno's book?

Thanks so much to all!

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome @balance4me, and how frustrating - and ironic - that your daughter is so resistant to the truth of TMS. Just goes to show how incredibly strong this fear/survival mechanism is!

I feel like plenty of people over the years have posted threads and success stories that mention skin problems. I just put "psoriasis" into our search box and came up with lots of hits, including at least one "Thank You Dr Sarno" post that specifically mentions hives and psoriasis.

Also check out this thread and @TG957's self-published story, which might not be about typical skin conditions, but is a powerful testimonial for recovering from conditions that create visible and disturbing effects on the skin.

3. Jeather

Jeather Peer Supporter

There is a lot of TMS in my family. Multiple family members have dealt with chronic hives (that resolved after a year or so), strange face rashes usually around the mouth (that resolved after a few months), and random episodes of psoriasis and even photo-sensitive reactions (ie. they were outside and developed a rash only on body parts exposed to the sun). In all of these, they resolved over time and didn't have a clear physical cause. In all of the cases, there were fairly obvious new or more severe stressors in their lives. Drs. said to use hydrocortisone. Sometimes they used it and sometimes not (I personally avoid it like the plague). It didn't seem to make a difference long term. It was time and just realizing it was stress that made a difference. Just tolerating until it went away. For my kids, it tended to be worse during their teens.