1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Perineum TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Looshine, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Looshine

Looshine New Member

HI there, I'm new to the forums. Nice to meet you all. Does anyone have any experience with TMS symptoms in the Perineum area? Dr Sarno mentions it briefly in one paragraph in his book but I can't find any other information anywhere.

I should add that I have NO pain but instead have very unpleasant pulsing/churning sensations. It almost feels like my bottom/pelvic area is like a washing machine on a spin cycle! I'm Aware of it ALL the time, sitting is very uncomfortable and it keeps me awake at night. I also have lead legs, they feel very heavy yet trembly too.

When I first discovered TMS for two days I had a HUGE improvement in my symptoms, almost 50% better but now I'm back to square one and feeling very disheartened. I've been off sick from work for over two months and my every waking hour is dominated by these scary sensations.

I should add that I had a very similar episode to this about 11 years ago, I was off work for over a year. No medical reason was ever found and eventually they started to slowly diminish. They started at the end of a very stressful period that had been ongoing for two years. This time, I cannot find a trigger but the symptoms are worse than the previous episode.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

3. cirrusnarea

cirrusnarea Well known member

Hey there, you haven't mentioned if you've seen a doctor about this particular case yet. Since it's been 11 years or so since you've had this issue it is a good idea to go back just to be safe. That is always the first step. Then it will be much easier to convince yourself it is TMS. Pain and other symptoms really do seem to pop up anywhere so don't worry to much about not finding many others with the same issues. Just the fact that Dr. Sarno mentions it once is a great confirmation.

4. Looshine

Looshine New Member

Thank you, I really appreciate your reply. I have had an MRI recently but not had the results yet & also awaiting nerve conduction studies. Both of these tests were also done 11 years ago. When I had this issue previously I had absolutely no knowledge of TMS and just kept bouncing from doctor to doctor looking for a medical solution. My symptoms were SO bizarre that I ended up being sent for a psychiatric assessment, something perhaps other TMS'ers can identify with. No psychiatric reason for my symptoms was found.

This time round, the fact that I had such a huge improvement in my symptoms when reading Dr Sarno's book for the first time was enough to convince me that it MUST be TMS. My personality is a mixture of stoic, low self esteem & dependent. I can identify with all three. My problem is that other TMS'ers talk about their 'pain' ...... I don't have ANY pain, just really unpleasant symptoms. I do however have a lifetime of repressed emotions. My father died when I was two, I was born with an autoimmune disease that wasn't diagnosed til I was aged four. My Mother was cold, distant, alcoholic, aggressive towards me....I could go on and on. I tend not to 'feel' anything but instead tend to have misplaced emotions...cry easily at TV programs, music, other people's grief etc rather than my own issues. I get angry at the man upstairs for the noise he's making rather than getting angry for the RIGHT reasons, the way my Mother treated me etc.

Anxiety is a HUGE issue for me, my symptoms seem to be increasing on a daily basis. They dominate my every waking hour, I am aware of them when I am walking, sitting & lying down. The only time I've sat down in the last two months is when I use the toilet. My only relief is the ten minutes per day I spend per day in the bath. I CAN, if I try REALLY HARD manage to reduce my symptoms by listening to a "Louise Hay' cd. Other than that I am at my wits end. To be honest the ONLY thing keeping me going is that I had these symptoms before and that EVENTUALLY they diminished, even without TMS knowledge.

cirrusnarea likes this.
  5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Looshine,
    Recall that Dr. Sarno has symptoms like numbness, loss of muscle control, not just pain associated with TMS. That might help.

If you can see a physician, this might help you relieve other sneaking fears. Trouble is we know they have a nasty habit of seeing everything as physical. Try to find a TMS physician which you can look for on the Wiki and also google search. Dr. Sopher does distance work, and his diagnosis was a great help to me.

Regardless, and until you have more clarity re "physical" diagnosis, all physicians agree that tension/stress increases symptoms. Perhaps use all TMS tools in conjunction with seeking physical reassurance; this can only help.

The TMS approach also teaches that fear is a great distractor, so it will continue to arise and distract when it is effective. I hear a lot of fear in you, which is natural. Observing the fear is helpful for me. Here is a good post on fear in my opinion:

http://www.unlearnyourpain.com/blog/mbs-blog-23-understanding-and-overcoming-fear/

Also see Pema Chodron's Utube vids on fear. Fear itself is a very deep and fruitful, if not difficult path. Both of these resources point to tolerating and not believing our fear, which is very helpful for me personally.

Dahlia and Looshine like this.
  6. cirrusnarea

cirrusnarea Well known member

"Anxiety is a HUGE issue for me"

You are in good company my friend, lol. I almost ceased to function my anxiety got so bad. It came to the point that it was so bad I wanted to die. So I recognized the irony of situation. I was so afraid of dying that I wanted do die. LOL! But I know it's no laughing matter. As long as you are seeking medical help, it sounds like TMS and I'm sure that you will find healing if you stick with it. Like you, I had a significant decease in symptoms once I was confident I had TMS. Hang in there.

Looshine and Anne Walker like this.
  7. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Gosh, Looshine, everything you describe screams TMS to me. Don't worry about it not being the same kind of pain everyone else seems to talk about. It really more depends on how much it is getting your mental attention, how much is it distracting you from thinking about and exploring other things in your life? How much fear and anxiety is it generating? Anxiety is a pain equivalent. I have pretty much have had most of the symptoms people describe and mostly what I still struggle with is anxiety. I had what my doctor described as "bladder spasms" and felt like I had to go to the bath room all the time. But sometimes that would morph into all kinds of strange sensations "down there." I also have had weird numbness in my front teeth and nose. It seems to come and go depending on how much I pay attention to it. Our subconscious is very creative! It took me a long time to wrestle this TMS so try not to ever get too discouraged and be very patient with yourself. It is often a process of discovery and there are many wonderful people on this board to help support you along the way.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    Looshine and cirrusnarea like this.
  8. Looshine

Looshine New Member

Thanks all for your messages and support, it means a lot to me. Cirrusnarea I know just how you feel, I came very close to wanting to die when I had this last time, things were that bad. I awoke this morning in a highly anxious state & dreading the day ahead. I read all your messages which helped greatly. I've also been repeating the mantra "I no longer need to be afraid" many times. This has helped to calm me down which is a big positive for me, it may just be a baby step but at least it's in the right direction.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Looshine. Your belief that your symptoms are from TMS is going to free you of them.
    When you become anxious and dread the day ahead, immediately change your mind to positive thoughts
    and that mantra. Maybe add after "I no longer need to be afraid" something like "I am feeling better and better all the time. I feel myself healing."

I've used this mantra for years: "Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better." You can substitute "getting" with "feeling."

Deep breathing helps me to relax. It has a profound calming effect.

Laughing is another big help in overcoming anxiety. I laugh for no reason and it still works to relax me.

Looshine and Anne Walker like this.
  10. Abigail

Abigail New Member

Hey Looshine!

I've had the symptoms you describe, and I can vouch for the effectiveness of treating it like TMS. With the doc visit out of the way, you can go for it. Sometimes, the stress trigger is not obvious, but more like a slow build-up of not allowing yourself to feel emotions. This has been true for me in my experience. Don't go looking for a big problem, simply look at what you're feeling every day. And focus on allowing the physical sensations of feeling an emotion, rather than trying to analyze or figure out WHY you feel those emotions (that's just another mind-trick). This is THE MOST EFFECTIVE practice to tell TMS it's no longer necessary. Huge hugs! I've been free of symptoms like this for years after treating them as TMS.

Looshine and Lizzy like this.
  11. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Hi Looshine, so glad you are here! As you wrote, it is easier for me to have feelings on behalf of someone else, hard to feel my own emotions. I feel for you!

Have you looked at the SEP, or started it? It is very helpful. Hoping all the best for you!

Looshine likes this.
  12. Looshine

Looshine New Member

Thanks Lizzy & Abigail for your replies. It's good to know that someone else has experienced similar symptoms to me. You are right Abigail, with hindsight it was a slow build up of minor events, including becoming very withdrawn & isolating myself from friends. I have over recent months begun to realise that I DO need people so have slowly begun to reconnect and reach out to those closest to me. I've also tried to develop a kinder, gentler and more accepting relationship with myself. Lizzy, the SEP has been invaluable.

As a result of these actions my symptoms have slowly started to diminish, so much so that I've been able to return to work albeit on a part time basis. This forum and the support it provides has also played a big part in my ongoing recovery and I am so thankful to have found it.

Abigail and Lizzy like this.
  13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Looshine. I'm so glad you have been reconnecting with close friends or family. Returning to work part-time was a major accomplishment.
    You're doing great. Keep up the TMS work.

Looshine likes this.