1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Daniel L. Perineum burning

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Abbo, May 12, 2016.

1. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I have perineum burning also myofascial pain. I have been doing the program for 5 months now after 2 years of pain. I can ignore my glutes and thighs where the myofascial pain is but I cannot ignore the perineum burning. I have found that by applying a small ice pack to the area it cools me down and allows me to continue walking my two and half miles in the morning and one and half miles in the afternoon. What I am asking is am I reinforcing my pain? Am I using the ice as a placebo? I don't think I can get through the day without using it just the once.
    Your opinion and advice would be so appreciated.
    Thank you

2. Daniel G Lyman LCSW

Daniel G Lyman LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    First a story:

One summer in college I traveled to Guatemala for a few months with the hope of learning Spanish. I spoke very, very little of it when I first got there, so I was relieved that my host-family had a daughter who spoke fluent English! I knew that I’d be fine as long as she was around.

On the second day of living my host family, the daughter told me that she was no longer going to speak to me in English, for it would slow down the rate in which I would learn Spanish. Frustrated, I agreed.

Later that week, I had eaten some food that didn’t sit well with my stomach. I won’t go into details, as they’re not pleasant, but I ran (literally ran) back from school to the house with my host family. I threw open the front door and immediately saw that there was a plumber in the bathroom fixing the toilet!

This was probably the worst possible moment for the toilet to go out of commission, so I hurriedly ran to my host-sister and with ever-increasing panic, asked her what to do – in English. She responded in Spanish, and I had NO IDEA what she said. I kept repeating myself in English, and she’d respond in Spanish. After what felt like an hour, I took a deep breath, and started to understand that she was telling me that I could use the bathroom in the house next door.

The end of this story isn’t very interesting, other than that I ran next door and was happily greeted with an empty, clean bathroom.

So, why did I tell this story? To this day, I will always remember the Spanish word ‘vecino.’ Not because it’s a particularly interesting word, but rather because it is the word that I learned at that very moment when my host-sister was telling me to go next door to use the house of their neighbor (“vecino”).

Now, to your question:

Yes, you are reinforcing and enabling the pain, just like my host-sister would have done to me if she had spoken to me in English. My host-sister was wise enough to know that while it would be extremely painful for me to not be able to speak to anyone for quite some time, it would be most beneficial for learning Spanish.

Just like the anxiety and pain (literal pain – try eating four street hot dogs in Guatemala and you’ll know what I mean) I went through regarding not being able to use the bathroom, you too will have a moment or two of panic and pain as you teach yourself not to reinforce the pain with an ice pack. It will not be pleasant and there will be moments when you want to give up and use the ice pack, but in the long run, it’s worth it.

That said – you don’t have to go cold turkey. You can ease yourself off the ice pack slowly if you want. The goal is to keep yourself from staying in a heightened state of panic as you wean yourself off of the ice pack.

Pro-tip: As you take you take the ice away, you will probably start to feel heightened emotions. This is common. You might cry more than you’re used to, or feel more agitated than normal. All of that is fine. It’s healthy. Don’t let it scare you – just feel the feelings and know that they’ll stabilize soon enough.

I hope that helps!

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.