1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

People with TMS, do you work a job?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by glennherriott, Mar 3, 2020.

1. glennherriott

glennherriott New Member

If so, how do you do it? I couldn't focus or concentrate in mine so have had to take sick leave these past couple of months. Anyone else have the same thing?

2. HattieNC

HattieNC Well known member

Hi glennherriott,

I work full time. At a computer 80-90% of the day. Most of my TMS pain was in my lower back and buttocks, so sitting was excruciating for over 2 years. In desperation, I took a pair of scissors to my office chair because I was convinced the padding was making me worse. I looked like a crazy lady furiously cutting out foam and throwing it in the trash. My family was financially dependent on my income, so taking a leave of absence was not in the cards. In hindsight, I'm very glad that I didn't because it would have fed the notion that something was physically wrong with me. As I'm typing this, I'm at work and have no pain in my lower back. During my lunch break - I'll close my office door, put on ear buds and dance up a storm to my favorite rock tunes. Please feel free to read my story and posts of how I went from a total health breakdown in 2014 to where I am today. Best wishes to you on your healing journey.

plum, TG957, jimmylaw9 and 1 other person like this.
  3. glennherriott

glennherriott New Member

Thank you that's inspiring

4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I worked full time through my ordeal. I am certain now that it helped me immensely to get through. Having income is only part of it. Not being isolated in your illness is another.

HattieNC, JanAtheCPA and plum like this.
  5. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

I find work immensely therapeutic now but when I was experiencing migraines 3-4 times a week, I classed myself as disabled and couldn’t imagine being able to go to work. I did eventually. The migraines did not stop but I did not let them stop me from going to work everyday. It was damn hard but I never gave up, even when other symptoms decided to come on board. I get into a real flow state at work. Not all the time but often enough.

6. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I’m a carer (caregiver) so depending on how you look at it I’m either always at work or never...which is ok. But it does royally piss me off when people say “oh, so you don’t have a job”. bangheada

I guess we all gotta do what we gotta do.

Lily Rose, JanAtheCPA and TG957 like this.
  7. TG957

Being a caregiver is considered one of the most challenging jobs, both physically and emotionally draining. In my opinion, you are always at work.

8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I love you.
    I ❤️ You.

Thank you for that. It really means such a lot x

HattieNC and JanAtheCPA like this.
  9. Ren

Ren New Member

Aw, plum, you're not just a caregiver in real-life - you're a caregiver for all of us! Not really sure what I'd have done without all of your wise and loving posts.

And to contribute to the thread - I'm out of work, yeah. I had to drop out of University early last year because I broke down, unable to keep up with my PGDE while dealing with my unexplained (at the time) symptoms.

Dropping out made me worse, honestly. What TG said is absolutely true. Currently trying to re-integrate myself into society, but it's slow-going.

10. TG957

Ren said it all: you are a caregiver for all of us! Love you, too, my friend!

11. TG957

Best of luck, keep at it!

Ren and plum like this.
  12. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you my darling ❤️

One of my dearest, gentlest friends almost lost her mind doing something that I think is similar to your PGDE. The workload was completely insane. She recently had to stop work due to epic stress and anxiety. She’s rallying somewhat and is easing into private tuition. Lucky for those whom she teachers because she is a rare soul, as I suspect are you.

Lily Rose, TG957, Ren and 1 other person like this.
  13. TG957

@plum, I was listening to a researcher who studies domestic unpaid work in UK. It is equivalent to a quarter of GDP.

14. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Somehow that doesn’t surprise me. I know unpaid carers are effectively running a second NHS (by quite literally saving the government £132 billion per year, an average of £19,336 per carer. Total health spending in England was around £129 billion in 2018/2019.)

Dear god that’s depressing.

TG957 likes this.