1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

People-Pleasing

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by plum, Aug 20, 2020.

1. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Thought some folk here would appreciate getting back to brass tacks to deal with one of the key issues Sarno flagged as a major source of TMS.

Here’s a video of a fellow countryman discussing five ways to overcome people-pleasing. The first 15 minutes cover his tips, the rest is Q&A.

Ritchie has some great videos and resources and what I especially like is how he gets you to focus on your behaviour and the root cause. I’ve found his stuff to be very useful in taking the focus aka distraction off symptoms and god helps us all, cures, to throw the flashlight back on the reason we’re in the hole to begin with.

He won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but I like him and over time have found his insights invaluable in facing down being a goodist/people-pleaser/the superego.

EmilyE, Neil, Dorado and 7 others like this.
  2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you so much sharing this, Plum! I have written quite a bit about people-pleasing. For me in the past, it made me seriously resent people when I was going against my beliefs to appease them and make others feel comfortable and safe. My needs are also important and making sure they're being met allows me to improve my interactions and relationships with others.

Also, we're all multidimensional people and I still struggle with the fact that some aspects of my personality seem to "contradict" one another, at least in the eyes of some people around me (example = being told that because you like ABC, you can't possibly enjoy XYZ). Caving into this is simply accommodating people who need to make sense of us in a certain way based on their own understanding and/or desires.

I'll check this video out!

plum and BloodMoon like this.