1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pelvic Pain- the latest fad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mala, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Mala

Mala Well known member

Dr. Sarno says that certain syndromes & symptoms may be part of a trend. He talks about how ulcers were once in vogue & then they were replaced with back pain. Dr Sopher mentioned the same about foot pain & how suddenly many patients were being diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. Lately I have noticed more ppl talking about pelvic pain issues & was wondering whether this was also part of a growing trend in which case there is defintely a very strong argument that it is TMS & should be treated as such.

I also found a link to a breathing practice that has helped someone in dealing with their pelvic pain & would like to post it here. I found it very useful & hope it will help others too.

https://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=55392

Mala

DanielleMRD likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Mala. Yes, and I think doctors today are looking for medical words to explain our pain when there seems to be an epidemic of symptoms that are in vogue. Outside of repairing a hernia, I don't think any doctor has done me any good. I saw a shrink for a few months and he did nothing for me except
    prescribe some Librium. It zonked me out and I gave it up after a while and found that I could live with my anxieties. Then I discovered Dr. Sarno and TMS and I am a new person.

The breathing practice link is worth trying, although I find I can relax just after about 5 deep breaths, and I probably do that wrong.

I think as far as trends go and that pelvic pain is a current malady doctors say we have, the real cause of our pains is LIFE.
    We just have to learn to live with LIFE. I'm almost 85 (in June) and still working on that. But "TMS Penicillin" is helping me a lot.

Mala likes this.
  3. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Walt, how are you? I think of you often, and brag about you even more. You're never far from many thoughts.

Pelvic pain is indeed a popular choice of diversion, and a path that physicians love to travel. Look at Abigail Steidley alone. She was told by her doc that her pelvic floor "was a mess" But it wasn't. He harmed her like too many others have harmed people. She found the great doctor (I've stopped calling him the good doctor, didn't seem enough), and she healed.

Dr. Sopher did say that he felt foot pain was the new pain de jur. From what I'm seeing hand/wrist pain is the funnest thing around, kids gaming, computer tension, texting tension, etc. But recently I've seen a huge fallback to fibro again.

So it all depends on time and place, and of course on what red herrings the doctors have decided to serve to starving people.

I'm also seeing a lot of sleeplessness. Whatever the brain can imagine, it will use. Whatever people accept may cripple them. Whatever they deny may do worse. Only the truth will free them, and digging for truth takes courage--and of course knowing what is true, and what is not.

North Star, DanielleMRD and Mala like this.
  4. Mala

Mala Well known member

SteveO since u mentioned Abigail Stedley I am posting this link where she mentions Sarno

http://abigailsteidley.com/tag/dr-john-sarno/

Not only doctors but I think the internet is also a place where ppl can 'pick up' syndromes & nocebos especially ppl who are TMS vulnerable.

Mala

North Star and DanielleMRD like this.
  5. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

I agree, the internet can really get your imagination going.

dying.png

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I've checked my symptoms with Doctor Google in the past and thought I had something that I didn't.

I've learned that it's best to get a medical checkup for a serious and ongoing pain, and even if
    something structurally bad is found, consider the cause to be TMS and work on that.

Steve, I thought the only one who bragged about me was my dog, when she's talking to her pals.
    It's to know you're thinking of me. I think about you a lot, too, and appreciate all you do for TMSers.

North Star likes this.
  7. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I know a young woman in Utah who was beset with chronic pelvic pain and other pelvic "floor" issues. For a long time she was taking opioids and other pain meds until her doctor gave her a partial hysterectomy. Funny thing is she has an obsessively jealous husband who monitors everything she does on the web and everywhere else. Now, they're supposed to be getting a divorce. One has to wonder whether her pain symptoms will all disappear when the decree becomes final? She even knows in her heart of hearts that the cause of her pain symptoms is psychological, but still continues badgering the doctors for meds and a structural solution like surgery. She's like someone who knows the TMS diagnosis is true, but still keeps one foot in the structural camp. That partial hysterectomy of hers sounds like one of those operations they used to give adolescent girls in the late 19th century when they started "acting up" around puberty and defying their parents wishes (like having to marry rich old coot they didn't like). You can see why Dr Sarno thinks they way the modern medical establishment treats chronic pain syndromes is downright medieval. Yeah, and I want someone to send me to a spa in Baden Baden to take the "waters" and dance around naked in a cold shower with little streams of water massaging my body. Those spas must have been great places to relax and meet a new GF or wife too.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    North Star and Mala like this.
  8. Alysa

Alysa New Member

I am entirely new to TMS. I was recently told I have Pelvic Floor Dysfunction....I've had a colonoscopy, ultrasound, MRI, CT scan, defacography (dont ask) and wayyyyy too many pelvic exams. My symptoms started a few months after my daughter and I both almost died and she was born 10 weeks early. I am feeling like a major TMS rookie here but I do notice my symptoms nearly vanish when I am not as stressed out. With a two year old and a baby I can't honestly say my stress leaves me often. I would like to affirm your theory that pelvic pain is pop culture right now. I have listened to Divided Mind by Sarno on audio (usually while wiping faces and kissing boo boos) I found it to help a bit for a short period of time but am saddened to see old discomforts return. I have recently purchased Mindbody Prescription but have yet to start it. Have any of you ever heard of or have you heard of anyone overcoming, through mindbody practice, levator ani syndrom?

North Star likes this.
  9. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

I tried this breathing technique and really enjoyed it :)

10. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

Hi - I'm new too. I hear what you are saying about having brief and wonderful releases of pain. And then finding that it is temporary. It is frustrating to be a beginner at anything. What I find is that I am having longer and longer lifts the more I keep connected with the forum- watch videos, read stories, and connect with others exploring TMS. I am also thinking of getting the workbook/educational program to start a journaling regimen. It is easy to get discouraged but I believe that even these brief vacations are enough to convince me that I am on the right path. Hang in there :)

11. Mala

Mala Well known member

Peggy that's so correct. Googling symptoms is not only a way of convincing yourself that u are dying but also it may also reinforce the idea that u may never get better or that it is necessary to live your whole life medicated to the eyeballs or that some form of nasty surgery is required. This is especially true of many forums where ppl go into great details about their symptoms & tell u what meds they have been on for years & that they r still taking those meds despite the fact they r not really doing them any good. Better to be very selective about what u read.

One of the things I noticed when reading success stories is that most ppl who have succeeded in overcoming their pain r the ones who finally gave up reading about tms & got on with life just as the good doctor suggests.

On the other TMS help forum a male poster 'alix' had terrible pelvic pain for over ten years & even went thru what he calls 'horrendous surgery' only to eventually overcome his pain using TMS methods including deep breathing. He gives Monte Hueftle some credit for his success as well.

So being selective about what u read helps.

Alysa, what u went thru with the early birth of yr daughter must have been very traumatic & Sarno says that TMS can start with some sort of physical or emotional trauma. What is interesting is that u say the pain started a few months after your delivery. It is interesting because u would wonder why it took a few months for the pain to manifest itself. If it was indeed physical then the pain would have started immediately. Also the fact that u say the pain can almost vanish when u r less stressed is very interesting & worth noting. These 2 things plus the fact that your test results have come back negative strongly point to the possibility of TMS but I can't say for sure. Only u can make that connection. Also I believe that there have been ppl with levator ani syndrome that have been cured using the TMS methods & I think I have read about them on the TMShelp Forum. Maybe u can do a search there.
    http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2

Lexylucy I'm glad the link to the breathing technique was useful. I found it very beneficial too. Healing is never linear . There r many ups & downs & it is most frustrating when u have had a good period which is then followed by a really rotten period but that is the hallmark of any healing especially TMS healing but u have mentioned that u have had longer lifts which is a great sign.

This is a great site with so much information available & ppl who are willing to help. There r experts giving their views & discussions & chats that u can join. The Structured Education Program (SEP) is a great starting point for anyone who thinks they may have TMS so yes do use the resources here as much as u can to your advantage.

Good luck

Mala

North Star likes this.
  12. sam908

sam908 Peer Supporter

Mala, it would be helpful if you typed out words such as "are," "you," "people," etc.

13. Mala

Mala Well known member

LOL sam908

Mala

14. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, Alysa. I think we can overcome any pain if it isn't structural and we believe in TMS causing it, which
    it probably is. I think pain comes mainly from repressed emotions, from our childhood or maybe from
    present relationships. Those we love, or once loved, can be a pain in the neck or much lower.

From the photo you posted, your husband and child are so good-looking. Bask in their love and
    your love for them. It can drive away any pain.

15. Skipbo

Skipbo New Member

I disagree. I've had pelvic pain since 1999 and am just now discovering that other people share the exact same symptoms.