1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Paul Hansma

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by miquelb3, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

His video about put me to sleep (YAWN) Sounds like his three week, intensive, Pain Rehabilitation Program in dealing with patient emotions, aims at getting them off meds, and get physically stronger, is nothing but using Sarno's plan for changing the way his patients thought about their pain, meds and exercise (getting back to your normal activities). The Mayo bent on emphasizing that this is not emotional is a ruse. This presenter drove me crazy. I do not think he is an MD, his credentials did not reflect that.
    Thanks for posting this Bruce.
    Lainey

BruceMC and andy64tms like this.
  2. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

Bruce, Sarno had an entire professional lifetime to figure it out by assessing and observing his patients. This guy doesn't impress me. Even Dr. Schubiner talks about learned "neuropathways" and plasticity which to me is the same thing. And he gives you a way out and keeps emotions as part of the problem and solution. Mayo Clinic is letting it's EGO get in the way. LOL.

BruceMC, Lainey and andy64tms like this.
  3. andy64tms

andy64tms Well known member

It’s amazing what a second look does for you! I was looking for positive rays of light in Dr Setten’s speech. His presentation skills leave a lot to be desired, the very least he should it should have been a Power Point presentation, turning your back and writing is very distracting and covers the untidy written message. Note that Paul stood behind his model when speaking, what a difference, he also gave credit to his model makers showing sharing.

Dr Setten’s first 1/3 was quite interesting he portrayed authority on how the Brain works and connected with the idea that many medical problems are “unexplained”. In keeping with TMS he cynically suggested correctly that we all end up on a trail of “ologist’s” which we all do.

Then my second look I realized that when he mentioned Emotional and Behavioral he was talking about both as the “result” of pain not the “cause”. He actually said: “People do not bring their pain upon themselves”. Yes we do, be it unknowingly by repression, totally the opposite. Soothing patients with this idea is probably the Sell. So I went back to look for better and found worse.

BruceMC, Click#7 and Lainey like this.
  4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Not worse than the futile search at Stanford Pain Clinic for a fibromyalgia "germ" I'll warrant!

5. BruceMC

Again, I notice when this other guy from the Mayo waxes euphoric about ketamine infusions at the start of his logical argument he still doesn't say what causes so-called "central sensitization" in the first place. Faulty teleology:

These bad memories that lead to chronic pain usually have an emotional origin do they not?

This stuff sounds very odd to me and borders on Big Brother and 1984! An invasive procedure to change the chemistry of your brain so that it won't cause unpleasant pain symptoms? Dr Sarno and Paul Hansma sound infinitely simpler and safer than these Mayo methods. You get a sense that there fundamental assumptions are kind of weird.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  6. miquelb3

miquelb3 Well known member

"The service had begun. The dedicated soma tablets were placed in the centre of the table. The loving cup of strawberry ice-cream soma was passed from hand to hand and, with the formula, "I drink to my annihilation," twelve times quaffed." Aldous Huxley

7. Click#7

Ask a CRNA or a anesthesiologist if they would undergo ketamine infusions ? Not used much for a reason....

8. BruceMC

And yet Mr Machine from the Mayo acts as if ketamine infusions are the only self-evident, logical way to proceed! It seems his logic is part of the same process in psychiatry toward treating every mode and mental condition with a drug whether or not it was caused by real emotional events in a person's life, like losing their money, the death of a spouse, loss of a home, getting old, etc. etc. etc. Excuse me: that dork sounds like a self-referential robot! Since we have eliminated all external causation, why not just go inside the brain and burn the problem out with chemicals? Duh!

Click#7 likes this.
  9. Click#7

No they change the chemical make up of the brain. Just like all the newest crazy psych drugs with terrible side effects....TV commercials crack me up when they mention suicide and death. It's freaking scary to think they use ketamine on kids.

10. BruceMC

Well, I'm glad to see that ketamine is also used as a "recreational drug":

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketamine (Ketamine - Wikipedia)

But it its effects are temporary, how does it provide an effective treatment for chronic pain, fibromyalgia etc. etc.? Do they just keep dosing you with it indefinitely until your brain's chemistry is successfully "changed" so it isn't so sensitive to stimuli?

11. BruceMC

Browsing through Steve Ozanich's Great Pain Deception this morning after I woke up, I noticed in his section on the T-personality type how a T will take great pain to avoid overstimulation because a T is typically a narcissist into hiding his low self-esteem. It seems like addressing the emotional issues surrounding these personality traits is a much more expeditious way of treating chronic pain/fibromyalgia etc etc. than a ketamine anesthetic infusion into the patient's brain. Seems like beginning at the wrong end of a causal chain of events leading up to chronic pain, or am I just not with the modern age of medicine?