1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Parts Call In - Saturday at 1:30 ET

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by njoy, Feb 15, 2014.

?

What can I do to get more people to participate in the Saturday Parts Therapy Call In?

Poll closed Feb 22, 2014.
  1. 1. Nothing, it's not interesting to me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2. Nothing, I'm too busy.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3. Oops, I want to but I keep forgetting.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4. I'll post suggestions or pm you.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Mea culpa with all the cross posting but I'm sleepy and want to go to bed. This is to remind anyone who is interested in talking about parts (Internal Family Systems - IFS self led therapy is a current favorite) that the Saturday call will be tomorrow at 1:30 ET, as usual.

We had a wonderful start but there have been a few times, lately, that no one has called in. No problem but I will probably hang up around 1:45 if that happens. Mostly, though one or two people (sometimes more) call and we have a great time.

If anyone wants to give me some feedback about how to improve the call, please do so. I've created a poll, below. I would be most grateful for your response.

There is always something prepared for a group but often we swap questions and experiences or just share what's going on with whoever calls. It's fun (and helpful, I think) so I want to know how to encourage people to give it a try.

Here's how to connect by telephone or Skype, etc. In the US and Canada, dial 201 479 4595 then enter meeting number 18311499 followed by the pound key. Easy and the call is never recorded. Use any name you like for complete privacy.

If you happen to want to call in from other parts of the world, the phone numbers, etc. are on a sticky at the top of the link in my signature.

2. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

I got two emails with excellent suggestions so thank you for those. Also a caller this morning had lots of ideas and we also talked about how parts interact with true Self and each other. Great call!

Still hoping for more .....

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

My hunch is that people are just too busy, too private, and not convinced that this will help them get rid of their pain. Based on the Tuesday night group, it seems that there are few people who are willing to go into personal detail on a phone call like that. Phone is just such an intimate medium. People may also be alarmed when they find out that they are alone on the call. It may be like showing up to class and finding out that you are the only person there today. Even if you love the teacher, that's pure terror for most people!

It might also be that IFS is so big - in the sense that there are multiple big books to read - that people get overwhelmed and aren't willing to make the commitment.

4. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Thanks, Forest, those are good points. Of course, no one needs to go into any personal detail (or talk at all) and the call isn't recorded. There may have been callers who disconnected when they realized they were alone with me :eek: although I haven't noticed that, yet.

I do agree that IFS is a big subject. Wrapping your head around the idea of "parts", then learning how to to talk from "real self" to frightened inner children and their protectors does take some doing.

Lol, it looks like my poll is a bust so far.

5. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

I got some great answers from various people, mostly pms so thanks so much for that.

Reminder: do call me if you want to talk parts, especially how IFS might help with TMS! Nena (host is 9523 after meeting number): Sat (201) 479-4595 , then 18311499#

The time is TODAY (and every Saturday) NOW 1:30 pm ET, 10:30 a.m PT

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Nothing bad about being alone with you on the call-ins, nJoy.

By the way, I bought CreateSpace's service for paginating. They don't include editing
    or proofreading, but Herbie and I can do that.

Thanks again for your help.

I just started to submit a romantic novel to CreateSpace I'd written ten years ago but
    no commercial publisher was interested. They showed me how to use a pagination template
    to resize my Word document to 6x9. It still needs some paragraphing adjustment
    but is a lot faster and easier than editing line by line.

It's a story of early women fliers from the 1930s through World War II.
    No heavy sex, just romance.

7. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Excellent, Walt, I'm glad it's going well. Your romance sounds like fun. I love reading about women fliers in WWII and earlier. Heavy sex probably wasn't easy in those old planes, anyway ;)

Did you know you have inspired me to write something too? I am going to do an intro to TMS and tmswiki.org that people can read online or download free. It seems to me a guidebook to the possibilities is needed. Of course, your book will be in it.

CreateSpace sounds great. For now, I'm writing in a gdoc. That will have to do, for now. I just can't face anything more technical. Will CreateSpace allow you to publish to other platforms (Nook, etc.) and in the multitudes of file formats?

Oh, can I ask you another question? I'm planning to use Chicago Manual of Style for my book which might be called Goodbye Pain! -- trouble is CMOS supports Merriam-Webster and both insist good-bye, good by, or good bye are the proper forms. Goodbye is not even mentioned! Oxford English at least includes goodbye as an alternative. Goodbye gets 54 million hits on Google Search while good-bye gets 9 million ... I could go on. I'm outraged. I'm NOT switching.

I guess this could be my journalism background but truth is I barely remember my APA or even my MLA from university. So I'd appreciate your take on this matter, if you don't mind. What do you write if you want to tell some one goodbye?

Others, too, if anyone cares to share. Should this be a separate thread on a sub forum? Maybe I'll do that, later.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014