1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

PARKINSON'S? Festinant gait?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by nowa, Feb 26, 2020.

1. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

I have just had a letter from the neurologist saying that although the MRI scan was normal, that I do have some bradykinesia and rigidity and that I have a festinant gait. I put these symptoms into the TMS search engine with no results, so I am even more scared about the diagnosis. Can anybody give me any hope?

The letter does say that i have agreed to have a DaT scan but doesn't mention any date...

2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

@nowa, I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I have indeed heard about people experiencing weakness, stiff muscles, tremors, and feeling stuck when dealing with powerful emotions - have you looked up these individual symptoms as opposed to searching for the more medical terms like bradykinesia? I've had doctors notice a slight tremor in one of my hands when I am upset.

I've also heard about people experiencing symptoms that resemble conditions such as MS, epilepsy and seizures, etc., even though they do not have them. This is referred to as a "functional disorder," which many people don't realize is the mind-body connection/TMS. Here is one example of a man who at one point even lost the ability to move his legs due to a "functional disorder" (aka TMS) that mimicked MS (remember, these symptoms are temporary and he can recover): https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jun/07/all-in-your-head-review-o-sullivan-suzanne-osullivan (It’s All in Your Head review – enduring mystery of psychosomatic illness)

Years ago, my old biofeedback therapist mentioned that he had a patient who experienced blindness when she was upset; the blindness was determined to not have a structural cause and went away when her nervous system was relaxed. That type of situation definitely speaks to the power of the mind-body connection.

It's good news that your MRI scan was normal and I'm glad you are working with a doctor to rule out anything structural. Regarding the letter, I would ask your doctor about the date and pose any questions you have if you do not remember agreeing to a DaTscan. Please keep us posted and know we are here for you!

TG957 likes this.
  3. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

thank you Dorado, it's the festinant walking gait that reallyworries me becase i Have had it for at least 5years, and it never stops or improves or changes in any way, which has always caused me to have doubTs about whether it is TMS.

4. Dorado

While symptoms that improve while one is relaxed is a sign of TMS, please know that consistent symptoms do not disprove TMS - it is still very possible for something that does not appear to wax and wane to be TMS. I had an endoscopy with scalloping and other signs of what was sure to be disease (including very red mucosa), only to be told nothing was wrong (and that indeed turned out to be true, as opposed to a medical oversight). Sometimes something we feel very strongly about isn't what we think it is, even if there's evidence.

Studies have shown that festinant gait can sometimes be caused by anxiety in Parkinson's, and if that's happening to Parkinson's patients, individuals with "functional disorders" are definitely going to be subject to similar symptoms: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4175083/ (Does Anxiety Cause Freezing of Gait in Parkinson's Disease?)

In fact, here's information specifically on psychogenic movement disorders - note that gait issues and other symptoms similar to Parkinson's are referenced, so individuals with "functional disorders" ARE in fact experiencing these symptoms: https://www.bcm.edu/healthcare/care-centers/parkinsons/conditions/psychogenic-movement-disorders (Psychogenic Movement Disorders)

Some interesting tidbits from the second article:
    So even though you are experiencing these symptoms, it doesn't prove that you have Parkinson's. And even if someone did have Parkinson's, anxiety can still be a major culprit behind the symptoms. Your MRI being clear was a major step in figuring out what's going on.

My advice is to call your doctor and find out the date of the DaTscan or schedule it today if it hasn't already been confirmed. No matter what happens - regardless of the diagnosis - there is always hope. How are you coping with daily life right now? Is there anything that helps you feel better, even if only for a little bit? ❤️

TG957 likes this.
  5. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

I have just had a call from the hospital to tell me that the DaT scan will be in the last week of March.
    Thank you so much for all the info. nothing mentions the fact that I cannot put my heels downfirst or that I walk with a bent back though.. (Symptoms of a festinant gait) I was sort of feeling ok until I go the letter today, and wasgoing to go out for a short walk, but it's getting too late to do that now...

Thank you again dear Dorado!

6. Dorado

The article may not mention those exact symptoms, but remember that symptoms similar to Parkinson's can be psychogenic (also known as TMS), so there's going to be someone out there who is experiencing them, too. The man who couldn't even use his legs because of TMS mimicking MS also dealt with some pretty serious stuff! Have you ever read Steve Ozanich's book?

The last week of March will be here soon. The day may be getting late where you are, but I encourage you to do something that helps relax you. And remember that nothing is proven yet.

TG957 likes this.
  7. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

yes I have read TGPD and i WILL take your advice
    thank you again!!!

Dorado likes this.