1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Paris, DC video threat and flare up

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JacketSpud, Nov 17, 2015.

1. JacketSpud

JacketSpud Peer Supporter

i had been pain free of my head throbbing and occipital nerve pain for two and a half weeks (the longest in 18 months). Then Saturday morning I woke up in agonizing throbbing pain. I took aleve and for the first time in a long time it eased the pain. I kept telling myself that it was stress from the news (I generally don't watch the news at all - don't have a TV even, but it was all over Facebook etc). My family are all in England so really close to all that is going on. Sunday I felt fine. Yesterday I got an email about the threat to DC - I live in DC, moved here two months ago - and today my nerve is hurting. No throbbing though. Part of me is starting to feel the break in pain was a coincident bought on by a trip to a massage therapist 3 weeks ago (normally I am pain free for about a week and a half afterwards) but part of me accepts this is a sure sign of TMS. I have really being doing well until this point but with my severe anxiety (I have suffered agoraphobia at times while visiting DC so living here is not good for my nerves - therapy and CBT didn't help at all) and the awful news and fear, I'm just not doing well. In trying to use mindful meditation throughout the day but am totally unable to focus my mind on my breathing or body. It just goes into panic mode.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, JacketSpud. I can well imagine that you have anxious feelings about living in DC since the Paris tragedy and the news saying something may happen in DC. I would stay out of crowds if possible. I think everyone is going to be more careful now... body searches, bag inspection in public places. If that had been done in Paris, the terrorists might have been caught before they acted.

I live in Chicago and have fears that the terrorist nutsies will strike here. I try not to worry in advance of anything happening and live in the present moment which is calm.

Keep trying deep breathing and meditation. Watch Yotube videos on your computer that are on relaxation.

3. Scott.Cameron

Scott.Cameron Peer Supporter

Hi jacket spud, I live in London and I imagine if anywhere will be on the hit list it's here, there's a lot of resistance from the general public not wanting to go to war in Syria. This is just another false flag imo, it's certainly got a lot of people scarred and anti Muslim, backing the war machine. How convenient that the sucicide bomber took his Syrian passport with him. And in January they left their drivers license in the car. What do they think before they go out? Suicide vest -check, Ak47 - check, passport- check. Seriously how did the passport survive the bomb anyway?! Anyway I'm not worried, try not to. We can't live in fear, the "terrorist" threat is unlikely to go away any time soon. So you have to live for everyday. statistically, your probably more likely to choke on a cabbage leaf and die than get caught in a terror attack.

Keep up the mindfulness and meditation and try to leave the fear behind.

I, and in fact the whole family have been enjoying using this lovely colouring book made for grownups to find some 'in the moment focused on nothing else' time. Theres some really intricate beautiful pictures to bring to life and I find it both calming and rewarding.

http://www.johannabasford.com/book/5

Makes for a great Christmas pressy for family and friends too!

Markus likes this.
  4. JacketSpud

Thank you both for your thoughts. I lived in London (Lewisham and Dulwich) for four years and most of my family and friends still live there. I'm not really sure this is the place for a debate over where will be hit first but I'm referring to a direct video threat that came in to The US on Monday morning and my local council sent out a warning. I have no doubt that London is at risk too but that doesn't reduce the threat of risk here. I also don't think it's the place to speculate as to whether or not the attack was ISIS or there was some sort framing going on.

The problem is, no matter how real the threat is or isn't, is that I have extreme anxiety - clinical but my meds make me unable to parent my children. It's not so easy as just saying get out there and don't be afraid. Or color in a book! I'm pretty sure that if it were that easy to combat anxiety I wouldn't have spent thousands on therapists and medication (that also really haven't helped).

I agree that I shouldn't stop living my life but as Walt so wisely said, it might be a good idea for me to avoid crowds in the city for a while. I also don't see me jumping on a plane back to see my family any time soon.

Anyway, my primary concern right now is more about calming myself enough to meditate and be able to help my TMS.

5. Scott.Cameron

Well I'm sorry I couldn't help, I didn't want a debate it's just my opinion and Im trying to say maybe the media is trying to make you panic more than necessary, that's all. I'm not saying the book would cure u I'm just saying its a good mindfulness practice without having to try. I really do feel for you and do understand the impact of clinical anxiety, my aunt suffered anxiety and in fact took her own life, it's clear to me now she suffered with TMS,

Good luck. I'm sorry if I've somehow offended you.

6. JacketSpud

You haven't offended me - I just didn't think this the place for a good chunk of what you were saying. I am also sorry to hear about your Aunt. I am so glad I have my kids - they keep me going even when I want to give up. The last two days I have just wanted to stay in my house. I get agoraphobic when my anxiety peaks, but both days I dragged myself out to take my kids to the park because I can't stop living. Did I hate every minute of it? you bet I did! Did I get jumpy every time I saw someone with a bag? I most certainly did - but for a whole hour and a half we were outdoors playing and my kids had no idea that anything was anything other than normal! Well, they probably wondered why I wouldn't let them run ahead as far as I normally do, but I can live with that tiny variation in our day!

7. Scott.Cameron

Yeah I know what your saying, I just hate to see people worrying for no reason, it makes me sad to think you couldn't enjoy your trip to the park b.cos you were too busy looking out for dodgy characters with odd shaped bags! the way I see it is even though there maybe a slim chance of something bad happening, if you get through the day that you were worried about, you were worrying for no reason really, my partner has anxiety issues, it's not too bad but I have to keep on her about it, she was trying to cancel our plans for this weekend in central London! Well I'm not worried, and if we make it home then I was right not to. If something terrible happens then she was right but I know what outcome has significantly higher chances! I wish I had the chance to talk about my aunts fears with her as from her notes most of them were really not warranted. We just never realised how much they really affected her. N e way if your kids can colour you should give the book a go, you can all join in, and from the safety of your home! Hopefully you can all enjoy that without distractions.

Take care.

8. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Someone has uploaded full lecture...please share or put in proper thread

Scott.Cameron likes this.
  9. Scott.Cameron

Nice find Irish

10. JacketSpud

That's fantastic - Thank you.