1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 26 Parents

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by prisd, Mar 13, 2016.

1. prisd

prisd Peer Supporter

I talk to both my parents weekly. I never realized until going through this program that both my parents are TMSing. They are both going through their own issues like divorce (not from each other - that happened years ago), financial concerns, retirement. I don't talk to either of them about deep worries, concerns. We talk more about non-serious topics: their granddaughter, politics, movies - day to day things.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

That's great, pris, that your parents talk to you at all and you exchange viewpoints on things. Divorce and getting over divorce has become a pandemic.
    I'm going to google and see if anyone has written about the first divorce. It's not among animals, just humans, so one wonders.

I can't find out about the first divorce, but the Smithsonian has this on its web site.

The fact is, in the United States the probability of a first marriage lasting for 20 years has decreased to about 50-50. (Before anyone blames Western decadence for the breakdown of the family, it should be pointed out that the Maldives occupies the number one spot in the divorce league tables, followed by Belarus. The United States is third.) Furthermore, these grim statistics don’t even touch on the reality that for an increasing percentage of the population, life is a series of short cohabitations punctuated by the arrival of children. For a country that makes such a fuss about love on the 14th of February, America has a funny way of showing it on the other 364 days of the year.

Some of my best friends divorced, a few reconciled, but most found that a second marriage worked for them. I never married but believe my parents' divorce when I was seven left a lasting impression on me of feeling abandoned and insecure.