1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Painful to the touch

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by eightball776, Sep 6, 2022.

1. eightball776

eightball776 Well known member

So I'm no TMS rookie, that's for sure... I'm also one of the lucky ones with a case that throws TMS on top of a few underlying disease processes that were well underway long before finding Dr. Sarno, so there's always been a "chicken or the egg" quality to my struggle. There's plenty of empirical data demonstrating the impact of stress on my Crohn's disease (diagnosed at age 6), the same sort of stress that acts as rocket fuel for TMS. So that's a brief background, though I've posted plenty about my journey in these forums already...

I'm here today because I'm noticing that my back is very sensitive to the touch these days. The area where I've historically had most of my pain. It's almost like there is a superficial skin irritation, but it's slightly deeper than that. It just hurts when touched, like a massage would be painful whereas it's never been before. Now there have been a number of 'traditional' medical issues this past year that if combined would cause head-spinning even among the most seasoned doctors, and I'm still not completely sure there isn't a direct link between my tendency for bowel obstructions (the affected intestines are conveniently located right around the pain center)... but I'd like to hear from others who might have dealt with a change like this, from deep, bone-crushing pain & muscular tension, sciatica connecting to the knees/hips ... to this kind of tender-to-the-touch quality of lower back pain.

Does that make sense? I hope I wasn't too wordy there... Thanks in advance for any input :)

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr. Sarno used to do a “test” for his back patients in specific areas - it was tender to touch. I don’t know where these spots are, but he found it a symptom many patients had in common.

eightball776 likes this.
  3. Booble

Booble Well known member

I get that from time to time. It feels kind of like a bruise but there is no bruise.
    It shows up in different places. Sometimes even on my scalp.
    I used to worry a lot about them. But I don't think they signify anything dangerous and they always eventually go away so I stopped trying to figure it out and stopped creating possible stories around what bad thing could be happening.

eightball776 likes this.