1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Painful hip flexors

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by stayfit65, May 7, 2016.

1. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

Hi all,
    I have been very successful with treating my low back pain, and I barely notice it. And the pain on the backs of my legs has all but disappeared too. But I still have so much pain and stiffness in my right hip flexor and the top of my butt. I am a cycling instructor and runner so of course these muscles are used a lot in my activities. The butt pain is not as bothersome as the hip flexor. Has anybody else had a lot of pain and stiffness in this area? I'm just carrying on even though it is uncomfortable. Thoughts are appreciated.
    Stayfit

2. lina82

lina82 Peer Supporter

I have pain in the exact same area. Interesting to me is that the "hip flexor muscle" psoas is also called "the muscle of the soul". It's very involved in the fight-flight-response - especially in bending us over to protect ourselves. Have you tried or heard of TRE (Tension Release Exercises)? Maybe thst could help? Or just letting the hip flexors rest in a psoas resting position? You can find it on youtube.

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Research the "SYMPTOM IMPERATIVE".

4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Try to think psychologically rather than physically.

The fact that you've managed to get the pain to move around means you are winning and onto it.

5. lina82

lina82 Peer Supporter

What I meant with "the muscle of the soul" is that it is closely related to the psychological thinking because the muscle is said to be deepky connected to the primitive brain / stress. So yes - think psychologically, having pain exactly there can be a sign of fear (fight / flight).