1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 2 Pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Benny562562, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Benny562562

Benny562562 Peer Supporter

Started the SEP program yesterday,back pain went up from a 4 to an 8 last night and couldn't sleep. Is this normal? Anyone? Is this encouraging or discouraging. Living with pain sucks,

2. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Hi Benny,

Congrats on starting the program !!! YES, it is normal to have symptoms move around, change, get worse. It is a sign that you have communicated: "I'm onto you pain; you can't trick me anymore." So your brain is trying to confuse and scare you into thinking you have something serious.

Please know that we here on the wiki cannot tell you if you do or don't have a true medical, structural issue. You need to rule that out. The SEP recovery is for TMS - in other words, pain and pain equivalents that are not a true medical or structural issue.

We all can relate to what you're experiencing. It's just important not to get afraid, to be kind to yourself, and to keep persisting. Good luck!

mike2014 and Benny562562 like this.
  3. Benny562562

Benny562562 Peer Supporter

That makes sense in why the pain would go up,my brain is trying to trick me. This is all new to me so still grasping the concept behind this. I have a appt scheduled with MD Dr Schecter on sep 28 of this month where I will take him my xray n have him look at it and hopefully rule out structural problem completely. The chiropractor I was going to says I have a nerve that's getting punched in the foramen. I think he's wrong since the pain comes and goes and isn't getting worse up until last night. The doubt that I have Tms is still there and I know one has to truly accept it 100% so I'll keep telling myself it's Tms and not s structural
    Problem

JanAtheCPA and SunnyinFL like this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Benny. I'm glad you began the SEP. Yes, the pain can come and go or become stronger while you are in the program. It does depend on how strongly you can believe in TMS. I think Dr. Schecter will be able to answer that question for you, whether your pain is structural or emotional. I think it is from your emotions and the SEP will help you to discover them.

Benny562562 likes this.
  5. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Hi Benny, I agree with Walt. Dr. Schecter should be able to give you some excellent insights and confirm your diagnosis, and that should be a really big help. With your upcoming appointment, it looks like you've found this site at a great point in time - if you get started and understand just even a little more about TMS, it is more likely you can have a list of any remaining questions and get the most out of your Dr. visit. But, please don't worry about buying every book about TMS and overwhelm yourself - that's not necessary and could be counter-productive. The SEP is excellent and will guide you on a daily basis (or however often you're able to get to it). For introductory information, I also really liked Dr. Schubiner's information at www.unlearnyourpain.com. Again, most importantly, be patient with yourself and learn at your own pace. Don't expect too much or try too hard. Just allow yourself to absorb information at a pace that works for you and remember to take good care of yourself. The rest will come!

mike2014, JanAtheCPA and Benny562562 like this.